XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Hey all, Read about this in one of ChrisAU's threads. Thought I'd detail it out.
This is a super easy swap to eliminate a butt load of steering slop. Minus my learning curve the basic swap took about 20 min.
The shafts that fit are 84-00 Jeep Cherokee XJ steering shafts. They are almost a direct fit for OBS trucks up to 96. For 97+ there's a link at the bottom.
You must be registered for see images attach

Start by removing the Rag joint at the bottom of the stock Shaft. Remove the bolt and pry off with a crowbar. The shaft will compress at the top.

Now remove the bolt at the top blob joint. pry or tap gently. DO NOT pound this joint. There are plastic pieces inside your steering column that will break.

Ok, now u will need to grind a SMALL groove at the top of the flat spot on the steering column joint. This is for the top bolt of the XJ shaft.

The XJ shaft will need to be separated. There is a plastic thangy inside that needs to be broken. Easiest way is to heat it with a torch and knock em apart.

Gods gift to GearHeads;

Ok,now cleanup and grease the lower end of the shaft and reinsert it into the upper.

Now grease the spline at the steering gear and slide the lower shaft on. The lower bolt will fit perfectly into the stock spline bolt groove.

Do the same for the upper, aligning the bolt with the groove u cut earlier.

Now u got a no slop steering shaft.

Enjoy!

UPDATE: For 97+ Try this. Post # 50 and 56,57
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...w-i-got-rid-my-steering-slop-cheap-obs-3.html
and this.
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005
Also see post #140 for FULL SIZE chevy van shafts used on 96-98 trucks.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...(88-96-Trucks)&p=464928&viewfull=1#post464928

UPDATE: Apparently Grand Cherokee and Limited shafts are working.There seems to be shafts that look different so check to see if the splines match the steering box and the u-joint at top matches the chevy steering shaft. Body lift at least to 3" should not be a problem.
Astro van shafts have also been used.
On 95+ trucks check to see if there is a third joint behind the firewall. Some trucks apparently have different stock shafts.

Last edited:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
awsome right up! im assuming there would be enough slack in the shaft if you have a body lift installed?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I think a couple guys ordered some xj shafts on accident and then found out it wouldn't work but I never heard if they figured out a way or not...

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Just reread all the original posts on this. Sewlow58 did it to his 97. The 98's have a third joint contraption after the firewall and the blob joint inside the firewall. Making this mod much more difficult, but not impossible. Just takes more "persuasion". ;)

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year OBS did you do it to? I thought it wouldn't work on my 97 model.