Worn TBI injector symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnguy55

Reaction score
My 94 5.7 has been having some starting issues lately. It has 230,000 on it. I've had it the last 100,000 and as far as I know it has the original injectors. It has started great, even in 20 below weather. Never touched the gas starting it, just turned the key and it fired right up. I've had a couple times recently when it will sputter a couple times but wont stay running. I'll try that about 4 times and if it doesnt go I'll give it about 1/3 throttle and it fires up. I rev it up a little and then it idles and runs fine. I've noticed lately that I can hear the injectors while inside the cab at idle and up to about 1200 RPM, after which engine noise covers up the injector noise. Nothing really bad sounding but I never noticed that noce before. I am wondering if my injectors are getting worn out? What are the symptoms of worn out TBI injectors? Do they get noisy? Hard starting?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
as long as you have a good cone spray pattern then usually they pretty much are ok yet, if they are just dripping while cranking then they may be your issue, you need to check your fuel pressure first.

i have seen injectors with over 300k on them and still a decent spray

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
I'd run some Seafoam through the gas tank and it will help clear the gunk outta the fuel pump, fuel lines, filter and injectors, if that dosent work then it has to be the injectors id have to guess.