Crank no start 89 5.7 TBI Injector Pulse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schim

Reaction score
Sorry for another crank no start thread but I searched for an hour and couldn't find my exact issue so here goes. Bought the truck not running. 1989 C1500 5.7 tbi stepside 5 speed. P\O started to remove tank for new fuel pump but didn't get far. Since tank was half way out and the new pump was there already we threw it in. We put 9 gallons of fresh gas in it. It will crank but not start. I have fuel up to the throttle body but injectors must not be pulsing. My noid tester will be here tomorrow. I have 12 volts to the injectors. The 10 amp fuse for INJ A-B is good and I have 12 volts to it. Battery is brand new and has been on the charger a couple times. Truck will run on ether so I have good spark. I replaced the ignition control module in the dizzy with a brand new Standard brand with no change. Oil pressure gauge shows 30 psi after cranking for 8-10 seconds. I'm now investigating the pickup coil but my question is will the truck still have spark if the pickup coil is bad? I think I'm down to 3 things. The pickup coil, the ECM, or the ignition relay. Please steer me in the right direction if I'm going the wrong way. Thanks.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm down to 3 things. The pickup coil, the ECM, or the ignition relay.
How about the injectors themselves? After sitting a long time they can get stuck so, while cranking, tap them lightly with a small hammer.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's testing the signal wire not the injector. Crank n tap the injector to unstick the varnish or goo. It's one of those " hey it works". No harm done.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck will run on ether so I have good spark.

my question is will the truck still have spark if the pickup coil is bad? I think I'm down to 3 things. The pickup coil, the ECM, or the ignition relay. Please steer me in the right direction if I'm going the wrong way. Thanks.
Pickup coil must be sending signal if you have spark.

The ECM "could" have failed, but not likely.

I don't know what ignition relay you're talking about, but you have spark, so you have ignition.

How old/plugged is the fuel filter?

As said, more-likely to be stuck injectors. The noid light will confirm that the ECM is or is not grounding the injectors. If it's not grounding them, the ECM could have failed, or there could be a problem in the wire harness. If it is grounding the injectors...the injectors are probably stuck.

I had one stuck injector on a Treasure Yard throttle body. Engine ran on four cylinders. I swapped the left and right injector harness and the same injector still sprayed no fuel. About the time I was going to do something about it...the injector freed-up, the truck ran on all eight, and has continued to run for ten-ish years since then.

IF this turns out to be stuck injectors, you'd do well to dump a 20-oz bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank for the first couple of fill-ups, and to buy fuel only at Top Tier stations.

Schim

Reaction score

I don't know what ignition relay you're talking about, but you have spark, so you have ignition.

As said, more-likely to be stuck injectors. The noid light will confirm that the ECM is or is not grounding the injectors. If it's not grounding them, the ECM could have failed, or there could be a problem in the wire harness. If it is grounding the injectors...the injectors are probably stuck.

I had one stuck injector on a Treasure Yard throttle body. Engine ran on four cylinders. I swapped the left and right injector harness and the same injector still sprayed no fuel. About the time I was going to do something about it...the injector freed-up, the truck ran on all eight, and has continued to run for ten-ish years since then.

IF this turns out to be stuck injectors, you'd do well to dump a 20-oz bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank for the first couple of fill-ups, and to buy fuel only at Top Tier stations.
Thanks for the info, as soon as I get a buddy out there I'll tap them while cranking. Attached is a pic of the ignition relay. At least that's what Rock Auto calls it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    657.3 KB · Views: 10

Schim

Reaction score

Stuck injectors is what it was. 8 taps on each one and she fired up. After the mouse nest was spit out it runs good. A little boggy when you give it gas at first but that should clean up with time. Thanks for the help guys!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, verify all the sensors and computer outputs.

Assure all the "tune-up" items are in good condition and adjusted properly--cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, PCV system, EGR system, initial timing and timing advance, etc.