WinALDL or Tunerpro help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OleGreen93

Reaction score
Did you use break in oil or a zinc additive on the rebuilt for the first 2 oil changes? Did you do that when you changed the cam this time?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
A shop performed the rebuild so I'm not sure what was used during break in. I remember when I picked the truck up they told me to change the oil after 1k miles. Ever since then it ran and drove great until the recent issues I faced when creating this thread. I wasn't aware of how important zinc is to these flat tappet engines at the time and was running Pennzoil conventional 10w30 with 3k mile oil changes for the 35k miles I put on the rebuilt engine. It could be possible that is what caused premature cam wear? Although, I don't see anything obviously wrong with the old cam.

With the new cam I installed I used the same brand cam, lifters and the manufacturer provided assembly lube. For oil, I used Shell Rotella T4 10w30. I looked up some oil analysis of the T4 and found that it has a pretty good amount of zinc in it and thought it would work great for cam break in and to use from here on out during oil changes.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A shop performed the rebuild so I'm not sure what was used during break in. I remember when I picked the truck up they told me to change the oil after 1k miles. Ever since then it ran and drove great until the recent issues I faced when creating this thread. I wasn't aware of how important zinc is to these flat tappet engines at the time and was running Pennzoil conventional 10w30 with 3k mile oil changes for the 35k miles I put on the rebuilt engine. It could be possible that is what caused premature cam wear? Although, I don't see anything obviously wrong with the old cam.

With the new cam I installed I used the same brand cam, lifters and the manufacturer provided assembly lube. For oil, I used Shell Rotella T4 10w30. I looked up some oil analysis of the T4 and found that it has a pretty good amount of zinc in it and thought it would work great for cam break in and to use from here on out during oil changes.
https://help.summitracing.com/app/a...break-in-my flat-tappet-camshaft-and-lifters?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk