WinALDL or Tunerpro help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OleGreen93

Reaction score
That is weird, maybe you can try a different definition (adx) file and see if that changes.
I think you might be right, I see there are two adx files for my truck using tunerpro v5. My truck is an auto and I may be using the adx file for a manual transmission. Currently just "key on engine off" it goes right to 23 knock retard so something must be up software wise. I'll change to the other adx file and report back.

OleGreen93

Reaction score
Tried the other adx file. I thought one was for auto transmission and the other adx file was for manual but the other adx file for my year truck just shows live data on the transmission such as fluid temp, etc. I'll be doing some test this weekend to see if I can narrow down this issue.

OleGreen93

Reaction score
Well guys I have some updates after working on it today-

Right away I did a dry compression test and I'm very happy with the results:
Cyl 1: 160
Cyl 2: 160
Cyl 3: 165
Cyl 4: 165
Cyl 5: 165
Cyl 6: 165
Cyl 7: 160
Cyl 8: 160

I set the static ignition timing with EST wire disconnected back to 0* but it ran worse than when it was at 6* advanced. In drive with foot on the brake the idle will drop to almost stalling but then in Tunerpro I see the Acceleration Enrichment will kick in and save it from stalling. It will do this about 3 times, sometimes more and will eventually somewhat stabilize itself until I take off and start driving again. It seems to drive perfect otherwise.

I set the timing back to 6* for now, it seems to be helping or at least masking the underlying issue because it raises the idle a little and seems more stable overall. When I pulled the plugs to perform compression test, all spark plugs looked nearly identical. I also cleaned up some of the spark plug wire routing I had and spaced them apart from each other to make sure I don't have any crossfire.

One last thing I noticed is that it runs pretty well when in open loop and the fuel trims are at or near 128. As soon as it goes into closed loop that is when the block learn multiplier drops close to 100 and fluctuates around there. That is also when it starts to not idle nearly as good as when in open loop. The oxygen sensor has been replaced with a bosch unit. Obviously it must be seeing something it doesn't like though. I'll keep this thread updated if I find out anything else.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last thing I noticed is that it runs pretty well when in open loop and the fuel trims are at or near 128. As soon as it goes into closed loop that is when the block learn multiplier drops close to 100 and fluctuates around there
When you're in open loop it doesn't trim short term (INT) or long term (BLM) it just runs off your VE (Volumetric Efficiency) table. Once it goes into CL it will try to trim your INT & BLM. If it shows a BLM of 100 it thinks you're running rich. It may be rich or something else is fooling it like ignition issues, it can't trim out mechanical issues.

What brand distributor did you use, an ACDelco? What about the coil, when did you replace it? Take a spray bottle of water and spray the coil while idling (just the body of the coil not the wires), see if it runs worse. A shorted coil may take out the ICM in the distributor too. I had this happen to me recently, ICM fixed the surging while cruising and cap and rotor helped idle some but it still stumbled, coil fixed that.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try posting your log and the adx file here and I'll take a look at it, I wanna try some other definition files, no guarantees.

OleGreen93

Reaction score
When you're in open loop it doesn't trim short term (INT) or long term (BLM) it just runs off your VE (Volumetric Efficiency) table. Once it goes into CL it will try to trim your INT & BLM. If it shows a BLM of 100 it thinks you're running rich. It may be rich or something else is fooling it like ignition issues, it can't trim out mechanical issues.

What brand distributor did you use, an ACDelco? What about the coil, when did you replace it? Take a spray bottle of water and spray the coil while idling (just the body of the coil not the wires), see if it runs worse. A shorted coil may take out the ICM in the distributor too. I had this happen to me recently, ICM fixed the surging while cruising and cap and rotor helped idle some but it still stumbled, coil fixed that.
The distributor in it now is a Spectra Premium from Orielly. The coil was replaced a few years ago but to rule it out I pulled one that looked "almost" new off of a junkyard truck to make sure mine wasn't the issue. When the coil was replaced a few years ago the original must have shorted on me too while I was driving to work one morning and took out the ICM with it. It was very interesting having it die while driving highway speeds lol.

I uploaded the adx file and two logs to google drive. Not sure if it would let me post the files here directly. Thanks so much for all your help

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvzK-XRdFBoaczkPqOOJFFsDjTQ_L-XY?usp=sharing

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very intriguing discussion. I wish I understood a word you were saying. Is there a textbook that explains all this technology?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very intriguing discussion. I wish I understood a word you were saying. Is there a textbook that explains all this technology?

Try this link.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/efi-dictionary.html

The distributor in it now is a Spectra Premium from Orielly.

Yeah that's what I put in mine (model GM-04) - didn't last 3000 miles before the ICM went out. If it were me, I'd change the ICM
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-d1984a

and the coil
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-d503a/overview/year/1988/make/chevrolet/model/c1500

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's your BLM history from your ride to work log. It is definitely running rich in most cells, probably due to your stumble issue and your rv cam. Once you fix your stumble you can tune your VE table to get your BLMs closer to Stoich (128 or 14.7 AFR). The PCM can only tune so far but, if your VE table is too far off, it can't get there. Dave w over in gearheadEFI developed an Accel spreadsheet that will help modify your table, but you need to fix your mechanical issues 1st.

You must be registered for see images attach

I started a thread there to see if anyone has a better adx file for your PCM, maybe we can get rid of the KRs...