What to do with rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I sandblasted the rear end on my dually. A wire wheel would not have cut it there.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the 10 bolt out of the way! And picked up the 14 bolt yesterday. $500
Now I will be looking to get the old leaf springs and the new rear end all painted up. Any ideas on how to sand the rear end are welcome. How much is a sandblaster?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sandblaster for what? That thing looks clean?

For any sandblaster to productive, you need TONS of CFM. That means a HUGE air compressor. 7.5 HP beast draws like 40Amps of electricity working non-stop. The guys that media blast for a living have diesel tow-behind compressors.

Anyway, that things looks clean, just a wire wheel on an angle grinder will be fine.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sandblaster for what? That thing looks clean?

For any sandblaster to productive, you needs TONS of CFM. That means a HUGE air compressor. 7.5 HP beast draws like 40Amps of electricity working non-stop. The guys that media blast for a living have diesel tow-behind compressors.

Anyway, that things looks clean, just a wire wheel on an angle grinder will be fine.

Maybe to sandblast professionally, but I've had great results with my 22 gallon Lowe's compressor.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about this one from Matco? I've never used it, I don't even know how much air it takes?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're going to use a spot blaster? How old are you going to be before you're done? That's like painting the Golden Gate Bridge with a bottle of Testers model-car paint, and a Q-tip.

You'll wear out the threads on the cap from having to refill it every ten seconds.

I have an enclosed blast cabinet. I've put stuff as large as inner fenders inside--certainly not an entire axle assembly. My 5-horse, 80-gallon, two-stage compressor can just keep up. I had a 5-horse, single-stage, 60 gallon compressor that would not keep up; but would work well enough for blasting smaller parts.

Sandblasting in general takes an enormous amount of air.

Jrowdy

Reaction score
Yea I’m only 26 and I’m sure this will not be the last project that I could use a sandblaster. Also an electrician so any power hookup for it would be a breeze for me. Figured it wouldn’t be a bad investment. But I’m looking to knuckle down on “the rona build” and stick to this before I start anymore projects around the house. So wire wheel it is.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So you're going to use a spot blaster? How old are you going to be before you're done? That's like painting the Golden Gate Bridge with a bottle of Testers model-car paint, and a Q-tip.

You'll wear out the threads on the cap from having to refill it every ten seconds.

HaHaHa!

Sandblasting in general takes an enormous amount of air.

Very true.

JamesShortbus

Reaction score
Okay so after 6 pages no one has suggested to him that he might need to make a change to have the (new and different) rear axle with the larger brakes actually contribute to stopping the truck ? I bet it takes a different master cylinder for the larger wheel cylinders to have enough fluid to engage the larger shoes and drums . . But maybe I'm just tired . Check with your Napa auto parts store and have them see if the master cylinder is the same .

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't change masters when I put my 9.5 in. Never occurred to me that the wheel cylinders might be a different size. Worked OK.

Now that I've upgraded the front calipers from the JB3 to JB5, I've got a larger-bore (1 1/8 instead of 1") Quick Take Up master to go with them. Not installed yet, but "on the list of things to do".

If he's got JB5 brakes, he's already got the larger master cylinder.

Last edited: