Found this when changing rear diff oil!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I messaged the guy in the other thread. Looks like he hasn’t been active lately, hoping he can share what e ended up doing. If anything.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What diff do you have? Or better what truck? Guessing a 1/2 or lite 3/4 ton. 14ff doesn’t have that type of bearing carrier. If you have a 1/2 ton, and 3.73 gears, and, were closer I’d give us the diff from my Yukon. Gonna be swapping it out soon, one less thing to try n get rid of…

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When we took off my Diff to install a Posi Lock some teeth were messed up so I put on some 3.73 gears on it along with the Auburn Posi unit I found on eBay.

Now on rainy days it’s a lot of fun slipping all over the place

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What diff do you have? Or better what truck? Guessing a 1/2 or lite 3/4 ton. 14ff doesn’t have that type of bearing carrier. If you have a 1/2 ton, and 3.73 gears, and, were closer I’d give us the diff from my Yukon. Gonna be swapping it out soon, one less thing to try n get rid of…
I have 96 k2500 burb. 7.4-4l80e-3.73-G80
I appreciate the offer. I’m wondering if it just bearing failure I can replace that vs complete rebuild.

I don’t have the time or tools to do this so going to call a shop today for estimates.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the linked thread, I really don't see how a bearing can survive its cage disintegrating and not catastrophically collapse.
Odd coincidence though, two occurrences of the same debris found but no actual bearing failure. Twice where the mechanic replacing the failed bearing left the same debris behind. Could the debris be from something else - eg, clutch pack restraints or the like?