What oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why run a 0 winter weight oil in AZ?

At 1st I was using 10-40 but I've been using 0-40 in my vehicles since 2004 because that was factory specified in my Crossfire. This way I just buy 1 oil for everyone.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only because that's what I've put in my '96 (mobile 1 5w-30) since 1999 and it hasn't had any engine problems and still gets about 17-18 mpg. Since about 2007, i been afraid to put any other oil in it. 162K
Same here 5-30 Mobile 1 since it was new in 1998 196K now.
One of the most debated subjects in all automotive forums today "Whats The Best Oil"

My opinion on oil, nothing worse than friction so keep it slick no matter what you are working on =)

Last edited:

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
15w-40 diesel oil, usually the inexpensive 5 quart jug from Walmart. I started using it in my Volvo because its a turbo, and I drive it hard. Diesel oil has additives that protect from the high temps of a turbo, given that most diesels are turocharged. It also has a higher detergent level to prevent internal buildup of gunk.

Now I use it in all my vehicles. Never had an issue, and whenever I have to pull a valve cover or anything, I find the inside of my motors are spotless.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exxon Superflo in the '90s then switched to Mobil 1 10W-30. 160k miles and doesn't lose a drop between changes.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Super tech synthetic 5-30 for my gassers
Dello 15-40 for my diesels but I’m switching to the Tractor Supply because I can get oil in 5 gallon buckets

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before panicking about the oil pressure being low, grab a mechanical guage and verify the dash guage is reading correct.
^^^ Wisdom. I've had my '88 K1500 5.7L for twenty-something years, I've put ~140K miles on it, and it's been through four or five oil pressure sending units because they're import junk and flat-ass un-reliable.
They can read low, they can read high, they can be entirely erratic. What they can't be is trustworthy.

mobile1 synthetic
(mobile 1 5w-30)
5-30 Mobile 1
There is no final "e" in "Mobil"

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1

Mobil 1 10W-30.
Thank you.

I'm using NAPA/Valvoline 5W-30 in the K1500, I haven't owned the '97 K2500 long enough to need to change oil, but it'll eventually get the same oil. Most everything else gets Amsoil XL 5W-30; and sooner or later EVERY car/truck I own gets the oil analyzed by a lab. For the most part, I'm changing oil at very extended drain intervals.

Some of my vehicles have an aftermarket "******* oil filter"; oil change intervals become a matter of counting years, not miles. The filter canister uses a roll of toilet paper as filter media, these filter extremely fine particles (as small as the particles in cigarette smoke). But they don't fit under the hood of newer, cramped engine compartments.

You could look up "Frantz Filter" on eBay, or buy 'em new--or buy a similar bypass filter direct from Amsoil.

Last edited:

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive heard mobil one is a good oil. i may try it after i get my engine back together. although i do like the diesel oil.

Reaction score
There is no final "e" in "Mobil"

Sorry for the excessive use of the letter “e”. They’ve been piling up here and I try to slip in extras on occasion to lessen the mess here. I’ll do my best to dispose of them elsewhere. ;)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Sorry for the excessive use of the letter “e”. They’ve been piling up here and I try to slip in extras on occasion to lessen the mess here. I’ll do my best to dispose of them elsewhere. ;)

That sounds like me with Canadian coins.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont even get me started on canadian coins. being so close to the border i end up with alot of them.

and its been a while since i drove my truck but mine was extremely erratic too as mentioned above. it would randomly bounce all over the place and then settle back down. i called it "tweaking"