Weird metal on magnetic drain plug..what do you think it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, I doubt it. Tray failure would allow the lifter to rotate in the bore , which tends to rapidly destroy the lifter and cam.
Thats what i was thinking. I was picturing it spinning in the bore like mad lol. But i have a feeling maybe a broken valve spring or collapsed lifter or something. I really dont wanna work on this pos in my driveway.
But with 3 kids and trying to keep them far enough apart to behave we need a tahoe or suburban. I have 2 trucks. Ones a crew cab but with a 11 year old a 1 year old and a 3 year old its bad news. Her 11 year old has issues so anyway. You think the old vortec 350 is a more reliable motor than these ls motors?

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That appears to be cam/lifter failure. The LS is known for that but you always go back with ls7 lifters they seem to fix the issue.

They also can be a quiet failure but you usually will start getting a misfire other times it'll start tapping and get a chirping usually around 1500-2200ish.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at how much more surface area is around the roller area which in my opinion causes the whole problem because all of them I've swapped out looks like the roller failed and takes out the cam

Ls7 lifter on top and (3rd gen 99-06 yrs) lifter on bottom
You must be registered for see images attach

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking. I was picturing it spinning in the bore like mad lol. But i have a feeling maybe a broken valve spring or collapsed lifter or something. I really dont wanna work on this pos in my driveway.
But with 3 kids and trying to keep them far enough apart to behave we need a tahoe or suburban. I have 2 trucks. Ones a crew cab but with a 11 year old a 1 year old and a 3 year old its bad news. Her 11 year old has issues so anyway. You think the old vortec 350 is a more reliable motor than these ls motors?

No, I think they are about even, with an edge to the LS due to its longer production life cycle.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Look at how much more surface area is around the roller area which in my opinion causes the whole problem because all of them I've swapped out looks like the roller failed and takes out the cam

Ls7 lifter on top and (3rd gen 99-06 yrs) lifter on bottom
You must be registered for see images attach
Good to know. I think the lifters may be starting to go bad on dad's Yukon XL Denali 2006 6.0, 205 thou on it. I did the oil change every 3500-4000, and used AC PF1218 filter and Quaker State oil. But it does clatter a little on startup, probably also because of the low oil pressure on startup. And I was told about the "pump O rings " by a mechanic friend, but I don't know how much experience he has with LS engines. He's more into the older style stuff, and is better with Fords and Cummins Dodges/Rams.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I think the lifters may be starting to go bad on dad's Yukon XL Denali 2006 6.0, 205 thou on it. I did the oil change every 3500-4000, and used AC PF1218 filter and Quaker State oil. But it does clatter a little on startup, probably also because of the low oil pressure on startup. And I was told about the "pump O rings " by a mechanic friend, but I don't know how much experience he has with LS engines. He's more into the older style stuff, and is better with Fords and Cummins Dodges/Rams.

The o ring thing does happen. My only run in with that issue was I'd lose oil pressure any it idled other then that pressure was good.

Best way I can tell you to test it without tearing into is over fill oil by 2 quarts and park it down hill and if oil pressure stays up then your sucking air around o ring

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a guy local with some kinda built motor lol. A 5.3 with a trailblazer ss cam and some 5.7 heads and arp head studs, the front cam sensor. Says 98k from a 03. But to me too complicated . If im going that route i want a swap and go. So i guess this thing has non re usable headbolts?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I found a guy local with some kinda built motor lol. A 5.3 with a trailblazer ss cam and some 5.7 heads and arp head studs, the front cam sensor. Says 98k from a 03. But to me too complicated . If im going that route i want a swap and go. So i guess this thing has non re usable headbolts?
:hmm:vortec heads on an LS?not sure that can happen :frown:

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Likely LS1 Heads on a 5.3 LM7, not the gen 2 350 vortec. Without different pistons this is usually a bad idea, the ls1/ls6 heads flow better but the chamber is larger and results in lower compression, enough that it will make less power than the factory 706/862 heads, I'd be willing to bet that a 5.3 with a TBSS cam and LS1 heads would make LESS power than a bone stock lm7.

Yes, headbolts are TTY on LS motors. 9 times out of 10 you can reuse them with no ill effects though, there have been some tests done showing that re-used stock tty bolts have put down MORE clamping power than arp studs, which are totally unnecessary on an n/a 5.3, but that is beside the point.

Your engine may have had a cam and lifters done in the past and the metal in the pan is just a remnant of that, in the video it really sounds like an exhaust leak more than a lifter to me, you could always pull the valve covers off and take a peek. usually if the cam/lifter has failed like there will be evidence in the pushrod and rocker wear.