Water Pump + Throwing parts at this truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
How about other fluids and filters?

Fuel pump--did you replace the fuel filter?
Front and rear differential lube
Transfer case lube
Transmission fluid flush with fresh filter, when the vehicle has enough miles/hours to make it worthwhile.
PCV system work--clean/replace PCV valve, assure the hoses are in good condition.
Evaporative emissions work--assure the hoses are in good condition, verify no liquid fuel in the charcoal canister, and that the purge valve works. Some canisters have an air filter, many do not. NOBODY changes the filters on the canisters that have them, though.
Most fuel pump warranties require that you change the fuel filter at the same time, or be able to prove that you just did....

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about other fluids and filters?

Fuel pump--did you replace the fuel filter?
Front and rear differential lube
Transfer case lube
Transmission fluid flush with fresh filter, when the vehicle has enough miles/hours to make it worthwhile.
PCV system work--clean/replace PCV valve, assure the hoses are in good condition.
Evaporative emissions work--assure the hoses are in good condition, verify no liquid fuel in the charcoal canister, and that the purge valve works. Some canisters have an air filter, many do not. NOBODY changes the filters on the canisters that have them, though.

Schurkey - gotta love ya for sucking up another Saturday so effortlessly!

Diff gaskets and lube oil has been sitting on my shelf for about 6 months... TCase fluid and snap ring was replaced when the transmission was out. Tranny flush and filter will be done soon by the folks who sold me the transmission to maintain the warranty.

Fuel filter was replaced 15k miles before the pump. That's a good note about the warranty, HotWheels - I'll look into that. I was blown away by how good the fuel tank looked!

I'll take a look at the Evap Emissions system. I dont know diddly about that one...always been curious. PCV valve has been done.

Are there any grease zerks on the back half of these trucks? I'm counting 11 up front in my head (inner/outer tie rode, upper/lower ball joint, 3 on the steering).

Air filter and oil change was done this weekend.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May--or may not--be zerks on the driveshaft.

Also...check the lubrication chart for your vehicle in the appropriate service manual. That'll tell you how often, and what product you need to use on the weatherstrips and door hinges. :)

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hijack away!! But let me inject an update on the original post :)

It took two weekends in the garage but this chunk of work is done.
1- Power steering flush. Replaced leaking high-pressure hose. Added a dorman cooler on the radiator support. Many thanks to the forum for hints on how to route those hoses.
1.1- PS pump is whining badly now. I used Oreilly brand PS fluid and 12oz of Royal Purple w/ conditioners. If it doesnt quiet down soon, I'll suck out the reservoir and add more Royal Purple fluid. Any thoughts here? The pump has just 40k miles on it.
2- Front main seal / timing chain cover. I didn't drop the oil pan but used enough RTV to seal the hole in the ozone layer.
2.1- I checked the timing set like Schurkey described and it was in spec. Did not replace it.
3- Water pump, thermo clutch, thermostat, upper & lower radiator hoses, water pump hoses, heater core hose and adaptor.
4- heater core hose tee and wye. Down low on the passenger side of the engine bay, there's a plastic tee and wye fitting on the supply and return lines for the front and rear heater core. The supply side was leaking at that connection so I pull off the hose but the plastic tee just crumbles in my hand. Replaced both of those. And bought a couple fittings that'd allow me to bypass the heater cores if something else catastrophically fails.
4.1- In this same location there's a small plastic gizmo plumbed into the heater lines. It has a small hose (looks like a vacuum hosing) that connects to another dudad on the firewall. Anyone know what this is?? I'll get a photo tonight. Anyways, that hose was roached and got replaced.

And half a dozen little things from the front to the back.
Learned a lot! Very glad I can move onto more fun projects like a dual battery setup, aux lights, and some other overlanding kit.

Hopefully this 215k mile burb is as reliable as can be with these parts freshened up. The fuel pump was done in October. Replaced the transmission last winter along with plugs, wires, and distributor cap.

Appreciate all ya'll.
Since we can't hear what you're hearing, are you sure it's the power steering pump that's whining? I thought I had one of those for a long time. It turned out to be an idler pulley that failed in a very messy fashion several years later.

The plastic gizmo plumbed into your passenger side heater lines is to completely isolate the heater core from the coolant circuit when you set the HVAC to max cool.

The plastic fittings are prone to crumbling after a while. I would have replaced them with metal, but the new plastic ones should easily be good for at least another 100,000 miles.

If you still have the quick disconnect on the heater hose leaving your intake manifold it's probably about to disintegrate. You should replace it with a metal nipple. The replacement should have a built in 3/8" restrictor.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll post an update on the squeal - but first a question about a power steering leak.

A couple weeks ago I replaced all of the hoses but still have a leak. Looks like its coming from the high pressure connection to the pump. So I went to give that line nut a little love bump but noticed that the adapter/fitting/doodad that it's attached to twisted instead. This, I just don't understand! I thought this hose was attached straight to the pump...

In the photo below:
- You're looking up at the bottom of the PS pump. Front of the engine is to the left.
- red line nut is what I went to tighten. That's where it looks like there's an active leak.
- BUT the whole thing circled in blue rotated. So I think the leak is probably coming from where that attaches to the pump.

How the heck am i supposed to properly tighten that adapter onto pump? Am I supposed to put a wrench on the thin nut (blue arrow) and hope for the best?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to get a wrench on that blue-arrow'ed nut without any luck.
Fingers-crossed one of you has had this problem before.

On the belt squeal that I cant fix....
A couple weeks ago I replaced the front main seal (pulled and re-installed the harmonic balancer), replaced the water pump, belt tensioner, idler pulley, and belt. When I started it up, it made a horrendous squeal. With a metal rod to my ear, I found it to be the new water pump. After driving it a while, that noise went away. Almost like the water pump's bearings had to wear-in.
But i've had a belt squeal ever since and it is driving me nuts! -cannot find it. If I spray a little water on the belt and the noise immediately goes away. Playing with belt tension changes the pitch but it doesn't go away.
I took the fan off for a really close look at each pully and they all look to be running pretty darn straight and true. If there's wobble anywhere its in the water pump pulley.
Time for belt conditioner or some other "magic" product??

Happy New Years! And happy birthday to your truck - tomorrow they all turn another year older!