Water pump and thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Gates solid surface clamps designed for silicone hoses they work great on rubber hoses as well.

I did a quick Google search and didn't come up with anything on "Gates solid surface clamps". Please elaborate.

I'm guessing your issue with "OE constant tension clamps" isn't that they're "constant tension" but rather that they happened to have been inferior quality constant tension clamps, i.e., you've had trouble with them leaking. Am I mistaken? I can't say I've had any problems with them... but in my lifetime I've probably used fewer hose clamps than you've used in one month.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a quick Google search and didn't come up with anything on "Gates solid surface clamps". Please elaborate.

I'm guessing your issue with "OE constant tension clamps" isn't that they're "constant tension" but rather that they're inferior quality constant tension clamps. Am I mistaken?
They were low mileage OE clamps that start leaking mainly. So if they were inferior quality that was what GM and Nissan used.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm guessing your issue with "OE constant tension clamps" isn't that they're "constant tension" but rather that they're inferior quality constant tension clamps. Am I mistaken?

When I say solid surface, this is what I am talking about. They have a solid band on them that contacts the hose, rather than the normal open worm gear clamps.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have had nothing but bad luck with the OEM clamps, they always leak and are a pain to install and remove.

That's weird. I have my originals with over 300K miles and I've never had an issue with them leaking. They're a European brand, and hard to get here in the US from industrial sources. The US made Rotoclip versions don't seem as heavy to me, although I've never had radiator hose sizes in hand, only smaller ones.

Yes they are a kind of a pain, to remove install, but I don't have the proper tool either. One of these days, I'll buy the tool.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's weird. I have my originals with over 300K miles and I've never had an issue with them leaking. They're a European brand, and hard to get here in the US from industrial sources. The US made Rotoclip versions don't seem as heavy to me, although I've never had radiator hose sizes in hand, only smaller ones.

Yes they are a kind of a pain, to remove install, but I don't have the proper tool either. One of these days, I'll buy the tool.
I own both the pliers and the pliers with the extension cable. Still a pain to work with, especially where GM tended to install them.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I own both the pliers and the pliers with the extension cable. Still a pain to work with, especially where GM tended to install them.
The only PITA about the pliers with cable, is that intermittently, the release will stick.