Turbocharged 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I love my vortec/ tbi setup.
Judging by the description of your truck it sounds like a fun truck to drive.

The throttle cable bracket is different than on my truck and I guess I can make the factory one work for now if there is a bracket for this swap it would keep things clean.
You must be registered for see images attach

But if it looks hacked and works fine it's worth it when I get behind the wheel.
I have the engine in have just a few things to do and it will be running.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
It’s all fun and games until you have to fill up the tank. I finally got my gears upgraded to 4.10’s with a trutrac (factory was 3.73) and it is absolutely wonderful to have power to both wheels again. The last time I had that was when I had the factory 10 bolt under it, and after it quit I picked up the light duty 14 bolt with 3.73 gearing and the spring loaded limited slip lasted 12 hours before it broke.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s all fun and games until you have to fill up the tank. I finally got my gears upgraded to 4.10’s with a trutrac (factory was 3.73) and it is absolutely wonderful to have power to both wheels again. The last time I had that was when I had the factory 10 bolt under it, and after it quit I picked up the light duty 14 bolt with 3.73 gearing and the spring loaded limited slip lasted 12 hours before it broke.
Dang I have the factory 10 bolt 3.42 gear with the g80 locker it's been great so far and I get really good mileage right now I get 18+ when I keep my foot out of it. Night and day difference from all 3 of the previous engines. This engine will definitely get a turbo after I iron out a few things with the truck. I'm afraid the transmission is the next thing to go out, I don't know what condition the rear end is in so no hard launching also because of the transmission, has slow in front brake system too slow to pinpoint but fast enough to almost drain the front reservoir after two weeks and I need the truck because it's now my daily driver. It also makes me money hauling bales of hay and other things with a trailer and because I'm getting rid of my old daily spare truck (4x4 2.8 S10 with 4.11 gears only gets 16mpg tops but needs about $1000 of work but was only $400 no point in keeping even if it has little rust) I'm hunting for a cheap POS that gets good gas mileage to save money and use while I work on this Red truck. Eventually I will buy a bigger truck probably something with either a Cummins or a 454 and the red truck will become more of a dedicated toy/hot rod/sleeper. But enough about that.

Fuel pressure, injectors,throttle body, ECU, sensors, and tunes.

ECU is important because without it you have nothing. I will be using an EBL flash programmable chip.

To control Fuel pressure NA I'm not sure what to do but boost I have an aromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a vacuum port that I'm pretty sure would also double for boost. I don't know what fittings to use to adapt this system to the GM lines to the TBI Fuel pressure gauge would help if someone could point me in the direction of a good setup. Sensors this one is important because it will not only will the ecu need to know if there is boost or vacuum and this will be accomplished by using a turbo charged Saab 2 bar MAP sensor so it will read vacuum and boost.

Throttle body is important because sealing the throttle shaft is a bit challenging and the method I learned is dang near impossible to with out something like a drill press and requires extensive modifications to the intake manifold. The injector wires are easy to seal with RTV. The injector pod can also be sealed the same way.
The injectors I'm still researching

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
You might wanna look into the fitech self learning fuel system. They start at just under a grand, but I’m told they’re very easy to use.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might wanna look into the fitech self learning fuel system. They start at just under a grand, but I’m told they’re very easy to use.

Yep, its a pretty good setup with bunch of goodies to tinker with. like 2 step and such.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are putting one of the FI Tech setups in a 2000 mustang with a turbo 347. Kinda interested to see how it all works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well what I was looking to do is have the way for guys doing this on the cheap with a stock engine and fuel system with some relatively cheap up grades but if I had the money to blow well...
Self learn efi installed like a carb conversion, E-tec heads, single plane intake, custom single turbo header system, gt45 turbo, 383 bottom end with a certain combo of rods pistons and cam for 600 lb-ft, backed by an Allison or a gearstar transmission with a 9inch with custom trailing arms and wide sticky tires with a farm truck stance leaving the exterior alone;) but that's a silly dream that I don't know if it will come true. Wouldn't mind a turbo 454 :hmm:

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are putting one of the FI Tech setups in a 2000 mustang with a turbo 347. Kinda interested to see how it all works.

Definitely let me know because after a couple years working the crap out of this engine I'm going to biuld the 4 bolt main engine in my garage with something like that.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Well what I was looking to do is have the way for guys doing this on the cheap with a stock engine and fuel system with some relatively cheap up grades but if I had the money to blow well...
Self learn efi installed like a carb conversion, E-tec heads, single plane intake, custom single turbo header system, gt45 turbo, 383 bottom end with a certain combo of rods pistons and cam for 600 lb-ft, backed by an Allison or a gearstar transmission with a 9inch with custom trailing arms and wide sticky tires with a farm truck stance leaving the exterior alone;) but that's a silly dream that I don't know if it will come true. Wouldn't mind a turbo 454 :hmm:

Yeah if I have to re do mine (not anytime soon because I only have 14k miles on my current), it’s gonna be a carbed 383, because I’m really at the limit for my fuel mods (which I have all of them), and my computer (chipped/tuned by fastchip) could only handle the cam I have nothing more, so if I want more cam, I have to step up to the fitech or carb it.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Allison behind a small block would be a huge let down when you got it to work. 4L80E would be a better dream.
And check out borg warner turbos when you want to get serious. A S475/87 would suprise you.