Gt45 t4 turbocharger on stock 350 tbi 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A boosted blower has been done by detroit. The old 2 cycle diesels had a blower, then turbo was added. It works. Sized correctly, it's ok. However, I'm no fan of the roots style blower. It takes too much power to turn them.
In my opinion, if you want boost, turbo it. Want more? Add more turbo(s).
With a turbo upstream (in series) of a blower, the blower can return work to the crank rather than draw it when the turbo provides a pressure greater than the pressure downstream of the blower.

Or, on a 4T, by running the blower at speed lower than it can provide full VE (ie, it is 'throttling' - but without the losses) the pressure differential across it will 'drive' it and it will deliver work to the crankshaft. That turns energy that would be squandered at a throttle valve into recoverable energy.

See here for more >> https://contest.techbriefs.com/2017/entries/automotive-transportation/7450

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in current practice, and that paper fails to convince me he knows how. He's basically proposing to put an alternator on the blowoff valve.