95 tbi 5.7 randomly cutting off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
New to the forum. I just bought a 97 - 2 door Tahoe sport in amazing condition with all Sevice records from a one owner. She kept amazing records of the truck. I read thru all the service records like a history book. Very entertaining. Anyway- one of the service records she had was the exact same thing. Cut out on the interstate one time doing 70. Turned out to be a ground wire.

I’m on vacation but next week I’ll try to dig it up and see if they named the exact ground wire / fix for it.

Here’s my baby. Dreamed of one since I was a teenager. Lucky enough to be able to buy one finally for fun at age 42.

You must be registered for see images attach
A guy on YouTube channel called 1road had the same issue on his 95 suburban. I was wondering if any year model silverados had that problem since the engineering was so similar between them.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
You can't really find a obd1 scan tool. And the one I have will not read odb1. Basically using a jumper wire or something on a odb1 in this truck will give the code. If there was even a code. There's no check engine light. It never triggered one.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
You can't really find a obd1 scan tool.

Get the appropriate cable from the first link, download tunerpro rt (free) from the second link. Find the correct definitions for your ecm and you should be able to get live data from the ecm. Does require some learning and effort but certainly doable.

Others here will recommend getting an older pro-level scanner (snap-on mt-2500, solus, etc.) used from ebay or elsewhere. Also a viable solution and arguably a better route.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
The guy I got the truck from died. A close friend of the family. He had a scan tool. But they threw alot his tools and stuff away. Honestly I wish had gotten alot of his stuff. Especially if I knew they were going to do that. But I'll definitely look into those suggestions.

Boyder102

Reaction score
I have experienced this with my 90. It ended up being the ground wire from battery to fender.
While your truck is running, go move wires around on the battery and see if you can get it cut out again.
I could literally be driving and push the horn and totally shut the whole truck down.
What’s nice about OBD1 is it’s simple and always start with simple troubleshooting.