Sudden rumbling/vibration while driving. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCusick81

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Haven't posted anything in a while. I have an issue I need help sussing out. About 20 mins ago, while driving home from the store and merging onto the bypass, my 97 K1500 5.7 suddenly started rumbling and vibrating. At first I thought I was riding the rumble strips, because that's exactly what it sounds and feels like. I quickly realized that was not the case and pulled over. I took a quick look around thinking something may broken loose somewhere, I picked up some debris, or something was rubbing against the tire. I saw nothing obvious. I was only about a mile away, so I carefully drove it home. Got home, popped the hood, looked around and crawled under the truck. There is definitely a leak somewhere but I can't seem to pin point it. There's what appears to be oil around around the crankshaft pulley and the oil pan. The leak, whatever it is, seems like it's coming from above somewhere, though. My coolant reservoir was empty too. At first I was thinking maybe an engine mount, until I saw the signs of leakage. What could I be looking at here? Would an intake manifold leak cause the sudden vibration?? It's late, it's dark and I'm kind of at a loss. I'm confident I can repair just about anything, given I have the proper equipment. However, I'm not so great at diagnosing the issues. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Where should I begin my search for clues/answers? Thank you in advance.

Kyle

11bravo

Reaction score
Did you check your gauges while it was running? It sounds like you lost a lot of oil, and possibly coolant. First thing I would check is oil pressure and temp. What does your dipstick read? Is the radiator dry? Clean up the oil as best you can from every part of the engine. Make sure your oil level is up, and coolant. Start he engine, see if you can tell where the noise is, and also see if you can pinpoint the leak.

I'm not much at diagnosis either, but you have to start with the basics...