Turbocharged 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you not make the exhaust crossover in the back like the IDI diesels?
That would not allow me to run a down pipe from the turbo. Trust me this was my last resort surprised that it works so well. When I get the chance I will get a picture and show you because I don't know if the 4wd frames have the same clearance issue I have. Thinking about what things I need to heat wrap.

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
That would not allow me to run a down pipe from the turbo. Trust me this was my last resort surprised that it works so well.

Even with ditching the ac box? Body lift wouldn’t help at all?

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now the turbo I am using I feel like it is a bit small for what I am doing but I think starting out small is a okay for my goal of boost at low RPM. The turbo is a Garrett Airesearch T04B47 split T3 flange from a 1980s Mack MS200 Mildliner with a Renault 5.5L I6 Diesel. The exhaust pipe/manifold on the turbo goes from 2.5in to 3in making it pretty small. I have not found very much information about the turbo or the truck it's self.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
That looks to be in the same ballpark area of the turbo from the 81-83 280zx turbo, I know it’s a T3 flange, and it was designed for 7psi on the L28 I-6.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks to be in the same ballpark area of the turbo from the 81-83 280zx turbo, I know it’s a T3 flange, and it was designed for 7psi on the L28 I-6.
They use a Garrett AiresearchTB03 which is actually smaller but do use a T3 flange. It is a good size for a 2.8 just not a 5.7. I think an 8.3 Cummins is the biggest engine to use a T3 flange to my knowledge. They use a Holset hx40.

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Ahh ok, I tried looking up info on the engine yours came from, and there's just not any solid info like you previously stated.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was in the shop today I have the heads off the vortec engine and haven't gotten to the 2nd engine that was in the truck it's sad that junk oil cooling line's destroyed the second engine in the truck. It was a 4 bolt main with only 95,000 miles guy took it out of his 95 1 ton to put in a International DT466 the best part was that it was free. After 3 months it started knocking. It was supposed to be the engine to be boosted because the TBI engines above 8600lbs gvw had 8.5:1 compression ratio with a earlier spec carb cam 180hp and 320lb-ft the ones 8600lbs and below have the 9.3:1 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) with the cam specs and rating everyone knows.

This truck gets hooked to a trailer more than most Duallys in this area.

I gave it the nick name Ol' Red but the GF calls it the mistress:Big Laugh:

Last edited: