Turbocharged 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did a ghetto build before and it turned out pretty good. I think in any future ghetto builds I'd whack the cylinders with a hone regardless of ring gap. I'd mixed and matched bearings and everything. It's fun because if it fails, who gives a crap? Don't forget about a waste gate for that thing, older diesels didn't use them. I believe you are correct with the difference in compression.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a ghetto build before and it turned out pretty good. I think in any future ghetto builds I'd whack the cylinders with a hone regardless of ring gap. I'd mixed and matched bearings and everything. It's fun because if it fails, who gives a crap? Don't forget about a waste gate for that thing, older diesels didn't use them. I believe you are correct with the difference in compression.
Definitely will be the next thing I buy for the turbo system is a waste gate. When I am done with the purpose built boost engine I will retire this Frankenstein boosted engine I am building now and spare it if it lives LOL.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So today was pretty productive however i found some problems with my second engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

So the vacuum port for the turbo 400 trans was leaking a bit I guess causing this piston to pop it's crown exhaust valve was fine and looked like it had been running like this for a while.

I also tach welded the the piping for the turbo and will be putting it on the truck for the mock up so I can start making oil lines.

I know it looks like it's a mile away.

Has anyone used a vortec cam with TBI heads? I heard you can use the cam without effecting the computer to much.

Last edited:

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So has anyone drilled the throttle body to pressurize the throttle shafts. I found one web site about using a throttle body spacer but couldn't you drill from the top?

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we pulled heads off the engine and found a crack in the block between 3 and 5. The head gasket blown in two places. Then when we knocked out number 5 and it fell apart in my hand in little tiny bits. :Whoa::wtf2:

Has any one had this much bad luck out of 4 Chevy small blocks at one time? :banghead:

Turbo Update
So my my research has found that I can use a 3 bar manifold pressure sensor from a 6.5 Turbo Diesel. It will be just like a stock one but reads boost. I also went to a swap meet and found an Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a port for boost reference. Also picked up some -10AN fittings for the oil return and some braided or line. Still unsure of the best way to drill and use a fitting in the oil pan. Does anybody know how I can adapt the return line of the stock fuel system to include the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator without extensive replacement of parts or modifications? I'm now on the hunt for a second gen Cummins intercooler because it has a nice low profile and would not be obvious through the grill and most likely will be cheaper. My go to site on the modification I need for the throttle body is now non existent.

Last edited:

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I decided it would be okay to gap the rings but how much should I gap them for this engine. This engine will only have 6 psi 95% of the time the other 5% will be when I finally get bored and crank it up some to 8psi. I will be getting new rings and bearings because of pitting on the bearings. The vortec cam will be used with the stock TBI heads. I'm doing this as cheap as possible and I figured if this engine makes 230 hp naturally aspirated adding 6psi would put it in the 315 hp range.
Oh an number 7 fell apart in my hand when I pushed it out.

Rock Hard Concrete

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure gapping the rings for only 8 psi is necessary.

Considering 8 psi through swirl port heads is probably similar to vortec heads with half the amount of boost.

Gapping is gonna increase blowby and make it run crappier off-boost.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure gapping the rings for only 8 psi is necessary.

Considering 8 psi through swirl port heads is probably similar to vortec heads with half the amount of boost.

Gapping is gonna increase blowby and make it run crappier off-boost.
While yes more gap will make it run crappier off boost for say. A naturally aspirated engine ring gap would be .0045 per bore inch and an engine for 15psi and below ring gap would be .0055 per bore inch. The compression ratio of 9.3 and it will build boost at 1000-1500 rpm I don't think I want to chance the rings closing that gap and doing what it did above or worse. However you are or I think you may be right on the half of a vortec boost. There was a third gen Camaro guy making 400hp with 44psi (I think but it has been a while) and he was running swirl port heads.

But by all means tell me what you guys think. I don't know it all if I did I would already have a turbo on it making power. I am after low end torque and that beautiful turbo sound.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I know it's been a couple of months since I posted an updates but this is what happened to the vortec pulled from the yard.

I ended up using the Vortec heads. I was going to use the tbi heads I had from the orinorig engine but after attempting a valve job tbi heads and then comparing the intake ports out of curiosity I went with the Vortec heads. I felt like the vortec heads and GMPP TBI Vortec intake for the truck as a whole and my goals for it. I will post up more pictures up of was is going to happen with the new turbo setup but I thought I would get everyone cauaght up.