The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Other Consoles:
S-Series & Astro/Savana consoles will not fit without modification to them, the rooflines are different. There are short, long (similar to a GMT400 truck console, but with a domelight at the back), and super long consoles from these vehicles.
You must be registered for see images attach
Do you know how much different?

I was think about using one of these.

norad848

Reaction score
Hey guys. I found this homelink on eBay. I noticed most of you guys have a different style than this. I have a 96 GMC K1500. Will this work in the overhead console?

http://bit.ly/13EVZpv

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hey guys. I found this homelink on eBay. I noticed most of you guys have a different style than this. I have a 96 GMC K1500. Will this work in the overhead console?

http://bit.ly/13EVZpv

It will fit in the console, but it's an older one. It will not work with the "rolling codes" garage door openers.

I had one and it was nearly useless for me and my garge door opener is about 4 years old. Took it out and tore it apart for it's resistors and components...

norad848

Reaction score
I assume most, if not all newer homes will have rolling code openers?

norad848

Reaction score
Mmkay, well I think I'll pass on this one then. Thanks for the info.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Do you know how much different?

I was think about using one of these.

Same explanation as David:

The headliner and roof supports are different so you end up with big gaps on the sides of the console, so you have to shave the plastic under the fabric or add pieces in then reupholster.

Mounting points are different so you have to fab something up.

They are different lengths depending on which one you get.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Updated overhead console pics with compass/temp mirror:
Before:

After:

Mirror:

Bracket under mirror is for my radar detector same for the power cord on the right.
Radar detector mount is an ebay find.

Is that one of the Intellitronix LED digital gauges? Was just checking those out at Summit Racing for mine... I picked a blue overhead console out of a 'Hoe today at the yard, and grabbed a piece of plexi for the front opening, since I didn't need the controls.