Center consoles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
My truck is a 91, regular cab.

I bought a console and it's from an extended cab. I'm doing a bench to bucket swap today and put the console in and it doesn't sit level. Is that common?

Any ideas on how to make it sit or appear level?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You would have to really chop the bottom of it for it to fit correctly. My suggestion would be search for one from a regular cab. Could be tough to find. I could be wrong but I'd bet a dollar that one from a Suburban or crew cab (Suburban would be easiest as they commonly came with buckets) would be the same as a regular cab. Extended cabs are the "weird floor" variant of these truck bodies.

Richard

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The floor pans on extended cab trucks are completely different from a single cab truck so, yes, normal that it sits at an angle.
When I did mine I cut 1 3/4" off of the back end and fabbed a bracket to secure the rear of the console to the floor.
Back end of console cut down:
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the end result.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
The floor pans on extended cab trucks are completely different from a single cab truck so, yes, normal that it sits at an angle.
When I did mine I cut 1 3/4" off of the back end and fabbed a bracket to secure the rear of the console to the floor.
Back end of console cut down:

This is the end result.

What does the bracket look like?

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the bracket look like?
Sorry, I don't have a pic of the bracket. But it's 1/16-inch plate metal (as I recall) about 3 inches wide and bent into an L shape to match the angle of the console where it meets the floor. The bracket also has a very slight bend to match the mild V shape contour of the console at the back. I attached the bracket to the console first, set the console in place, marked the carpeting with a Sharpie, used an oversized drill bit to melt through the carpet where I marked it, and then drilled through the floor pan. I then used self-tapping sheet metal screws to secure the backend of the console. The front end of the console should mount to the ribbed/raised section of the floor pan. I also used self-tapping sheet metal screws for the front as well.

What are you going to use for the inboard seat belts? My experience is that the extended cab truck inboard seat belts are not compatible with the regular cab shoulder belt buckle.
The early burb inboard seat belts will work though.

Last edited:

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a pic of the bracket. But it's 1/16-inch plate metal (as I recall) about 3 inches wide and bent into an L shape to match the angle of the console where it meets the floor. The bracket also has a very slight bend to match the mild V shape contour of the console at the back. I attached the bracket to the console first, set the console in place, marked the carpeting with a Sharpie, used an oversized drill bit to melt through the carpet where I marked it, and then drilled through the floor pan. I then used self-tapping sheet metal screws to secure the backend of the console. The front end of the console should mount to the ribbed/raised section of the floor pan. I also used self-tapping sheet metal screws for the front as well.

What are you going to use for the inboard seat belts? My experience is that the extended cab truck inboard seat belts are not compatible with the regular cab shoulder belt buckle.
The early burb inboard seat belts will work though.

I got it all set. Pics to come!

Thanks!!

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
C
My truck is a 91, regular cab.

I bought a console and it's from an extended cab. I'm doing a bench to bucket swap today and put the console in and it doesn't sit level. Is that common?

Any ideas on how to make it sit or appear level?
Check out OBS outpost he has a channel on YouTube that makes brackets there pricey but worth it . You can put gen4 seats that look great.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Alllll doneeee!!!

Looks F'n awesome! I love it! Big shout out to @89RCLB for the console answer! Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• PXL_20230619_232730279.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230619_232730279.MP.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20230619_232700713.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230619_232700713.MP.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20230619_232709673.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230619_232709673.MP.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20230619_232713007.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230619_232713007.MP~2.jpg