Overhead console wiring from astrovan.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 ext cab so that’s my concern
Has to be 98+ to utilize full function of the mode style. I piggybacked battery power and ground off of the lighting in my overhead console, but i had to run wire down my a pillar for dimming, vss, class 2, temp sensor, accessory power, IP power. I ran all these wire to behind my radio and made my splices there since thats where all these wires are located. I made a connector for the 6 wires to go to the DIC, other end was spliced and soldered into wiring harness at radio before the connector that plugs into the radio. I had to completely rebuild my radio wire harness from a chop job
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has to be 98+ to utilize full function of the mode style. I piggybacked battery power and ground off of the lighting in my overhead console, but i had to run wire down my a pillar for dimming, vss, class 2, temp sensor, accessory power, IP power. I ran all these wire to behind my radio and made my splices there since thats where all these wires are located. I made a connector for the 6 wires to go to the DIC, other end was spliced and soldered into wiring harness at radio before the connector that plugs into the radio. I had to completely rebuild my radio wire harness from a chop job
This is the extra harness I have behind my radio. Are you referring to all the wires I need is coming from this harness? Also, with a 97 do I need to get a temp sensor from another vehicle to make it work correctly? When I bought the DIC I thought I was just hooking up the one purple wire to the obd2…I was wrong lol

Attachments

• 895CB19C-CEBF-449E-B0D0-23536EC0A671.jpeg
    895CB19C-CEBF-449E-B0D0-23536EC0A671.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 049DE811-AA9D-4A95-8859-E200C9EA4C0F.jpeg
    049DE811-AA9D-4A95-8859-E200C9EA4C0F.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 5

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the extra harness I have behind my radio. Are you referring to all the wires I need is coming from this harness? Also, with a 97 do I need to get a temp sensor from another vehicle to make it work correctly? When I bought the DIC I thought I was just hooking up the one purple wire to the obd2…I was wrong lol
That extra harness looks like the one that goes to the factory CD player that connects to the factory radio. Yes you will need a temp sensor. Yes its 8 wires in total that need splicing in to existing wires

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That extra harness looks like the one that goes to the factory CD player that connects to the factory radio. Yes you will need a temp sensor. Yes its 8 wires in total that need splicing in to existing wires
You’re right, I got rid of that CD player so long ago I forgot. So, find a blazer, Jimmy, or bravada and get the temp sensor and mount in the grill. Then run wires up to DIC. Ok, which wires are we tapping into behind the radio?

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re right, I got rid of that CD player so long ago I forgot. So, find a blazer, Jimmy, or bravada and get the temp sensor and mount in the grill. Then run wires up to DIC. Ok, which wires are we tapping into behind the radio?
Have you read through the stickied thread, all the answers are in there

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you read through the stickied thread, all the answers are in there
Thanks, I completely forgot about that actually post. That answered all my questions except for the best donor car for a temp sensor or does it matter.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
temp sensor doesnt matter
Thanks, I completely forgot about that actually post. That answered all my questions except for the best donor car for a temp sensor or does it matter.

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
temp sensor doesnt matter
I got everything wired up and temp works, direction/compass works, and gas used works. I understand that the range will read low because I have a 97 but my purple obd2 wire to the yellow DIC wire is still leaving me with - - for the other readings.

Please advise

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got everything wired up and temp works, direction/compass works, and gas used works. I understand that the range will read low because I have a 97 but my purple obd2 wire to the yellow DIC wire is still leaving me with - - for the other readings.

Please advise
i would try to find another one or two in a yard and plug in and see if they work. also, when i first read the thread i thought that the only thing that worked pre 98 was temp/compass, but not sure now. may want to DM someone who did this on a pre 98