The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
O.K. I bought another industrial sewing machine, & I'm going to have to dial it in for my preferences. This involves doing some practice bits on srap materials. I can do this on any material, but I was thinking, how many of you guys need the elastic replaced in the end compartement of your overhead consoles? I've already done mine, 'cause llike the others I've seen, they are usually junk. If you guys are interested, send me a pm, & I'll stitch a bunch up. I'm thinking that if you send me a self addressed stamped envelope, I'll just drop 'em back in the mail for ya. This ain't gonna happen today, but probably later this week. Let me know.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I guess that you coud put CD's in there. I've never tried to see if they would fit. Some people keep (cough, cough, hack) smokes in there. I use it to put my wallet in. Makes for less visits to the chiropracter.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting my heater/A/C controls up there. Found a heater/A/C control off of a 98-2001 Grand Am that looks like it will come close to fitting and has the same buttons and dials as my 96 but in a narrower format. If this works, Then I'll either double din or make a console under my power outlets and put the DD there and put a bigger touch screen in the dash and slave it to the DD.

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Wondering if anyone has done this install and made it functional?

put one of these (computer and faceplate)
You must be registered for see images attach

into one of these consoles
You must be registered for see images attach

I've installed the basic compass and temp only computer into those consoles in my 88 and 99 GMT400 trucks. I once installed the full function computer you show above into a friends 97 GMT400 and the computer is not correctly calibrated for those trucks so the mileage and such is considerably off.

Supertex

Reaction score
^ I might hit you up on that. But WTF is the purpose of the pocket/elastic? To hold CD's?

Pretty sure that's a "map compartment." Seems like CD covers would get destroyed if unseparated.

I noticed that my Droid X will fit in the space at the front. Has me curious about the possibilities. Anyone have a source on widescreen TFT's?

Last edited:

nickl011

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed that my oakely's dont it in the sunglasses compartment on the overhead console, but instead, its a perfect place to stash my emergency supply of Copenhagen to hide from the ol' lady.