The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scorpio82

Reaction score
Would it be possible to get a copy of the 96 schematics? And if the Monte Carlo HVAC works like the trucks, could I get a schematic for that too? If theres a link to a number of them that I can compare that would be cool too.

Yeah let me get that for ya. And no, unfortunately without a DOD ID card you won't have access to this website.

scorpio82

Reaction score
Would it be possible to get a copy of the 96 schematics? And if the Monte Carlo HVAC works like the trucks, could I get a schematic for that too? If theres a link to a number of them that I can compare that would be cool too.

Alright, here's your trucks schematics and the Monte (including both types of controls that were available) Hopefully I'll be able to tell everyone within the next week how to combine everything. enjoy

You must be registered for see images attach

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Ill see what I can do with them. If you have the time and inclination, if I could get the 97-01 Grand Prix one also (that looks like this)

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted a homelink in my truck so I added this...

Then I decided I wanted to put an overhead console in with the factory Homelink. This console is actually 4 different consoles built into one - Homelink from one, front blank panel from another, rear two doors from another, and finally proper tan surround from the last one (there is more than one tan shade for the headliner). Problem is they were all different colors of grey in the center, so I painted all the pieces before assembly. They are a little darker than I wanted, but they look good in the truck. The microphone is for my bluetooth equipped Pioneer radio.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I put my center console back in where the old subs were, and since I was bored I pulled off the top and cleaned and painted it. Just to get my imagination flowing again for the interior. Here is how it turned out. I pulled an OH console from a Suburban. It was blue and dark grey, and had the rear AC controls. I just finally got to work on mounting it today. So here is what all I did today.

Mocking it up:

Since my truck is a Reg cab I didnt have the wires or holes in the roof for the tabs to mount it. So I just broke them off and drilled a few holes and used some Machine screws to hold it up.

(Looks crappy but you dont even see that part. So it doesnt bother me.)

Then (since I didnt pay attention and notice the plastic and fabric wrapped part can be seperated) I taped off the plastic and painted the blue fabric with black fabric paint.

While that was drying I decided to fix my gauges (since one of my red LEDs quit working I put in one of my blues.) Now it is all red again.

I also pulled my door panel and was going to try out the fabric paint on the panels. The red paint didnt work too well so I resprayed it black so it wouldnt look so bad. This isnt what my original plan was but its going to change. Then I painted the control panel and handle bezel with plastic spray paint. I plan on rewrapping the fabric with some red fleece, and painting the gray black and the bezel black.

Now I found out I could separate the plastic so I did so and gave it a few coats of the red. I pulled all the little components (buttons, light sockets. etc) and painted them black.

Then I remounted it back into the truck. Wiring the hot to the dome light and grounding it with one of the mounting screws.

Now as for the blank AC slot, I need to get my hands on one of the blanks like you guys have in yours. Or I will make my own. But I have this red LED bowtie background that I might put there, if I can get my hands on another bowtie to put ontop of it.

UPDATE:

I also just got the blank for my empty slot from Chris. Thanks again!

Hoping to get some free time before I leave next week to paint it and get the lights/switches on it.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Just installed mine.

No wiring for the console but everything else was there.
Ran wiring for console and gauge down the windshield pillar. Gauge is a B&M trans temp.
Aluminum gauge pod is for a 99+ console. Very tight fit but it worked well.
I already programed the homelink but I won't be able to test until I get home.
Have to clean it up now.
Laters