Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe we are saying the same thing but different ways..... I've always understood and spoke in a sense that you don't enter boost until 2 bar.

1 bar is approximately atmospheric pressure. So 1.5 bar would be 7.5 lbs (psi) of boost in the old school. 2 bar would be 15 lbs.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the old school units. I don't have to think about what 15 lbs of boost is, but 200 kpa is harder to wrap my mind around without converting first.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two 50mm BOV...
So, bear with me, you're gonna run up to 400 kpa (44.1 PSI) boost, right? Do we know how much your turbos can produce? Then we'll know if your 50 mm BOVs can maintain 400 kpa with your spools wound out tight? Or do you already know they can handle it? I would think there wouldn't be any pressure spike (or minimal anyway) if they can. Sorry, I'm just trying to understand this.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe we are saying the same thing but different ways..... I've always understood and spoke in a sense that you don't enter boost until 2 bar.
For convenience I'll stick with your definition, but it's different than I've understood it before. Boost gauge starts at 0, shows positive pressure. This picture shows how I understand it. It would be at 0 or slightly below (pulling vacuum) at idle, and start to go positive as you apply throttle.
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So for example a 3 bar map sensor is only capable of recognizing 44 (ish) lbs of boost?
No, a 3 BAR sensor only sees up to 300 KPA or, 29.4 lbs at sea level. A 4 BAR will see ~44. A 1 BAR sensor (like used in our N/A engines) sees vacuum (less than 100 KPA), with throttle closed and zero boost (100 KPA) at WOT