Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the way I was taught is that if the bov doesn't do its job, the next failsafe is the throttle blades. It (or they in bike terminology) will bend and allow air through.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I believe the BOV is there for turbine protection.....

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take on this would be that the turbo creates flow and the throttle body closing creates resistance therefore the pressure increase starts at the throttle body and builds in a backward direction towards the turbo as the turbo continues supplying unwanted flow. Much like having a fast flowing water pipe and then suddenly closing the outlet causing a shock wave to travel back up the pipe causing it to bust at the first weak point it gets to.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I believe the BOV is there for turbine protection.....
Agreed. They're designed to prevent compressor stall, which will ruin a turbo. OEMs like BMW for example use a system which recirculates the air rather than venting to atmosphere. Point is the air trapped between a still spinning turbo and a closed throttle has gotta go somewhere, and it's gonna find the weak spot. Opening a bov creates that weak spot, I don't think it matters where that spot is located. Certainly not going to hurt anything putting them by the intercoolers, but if that's a tight spot I don't think you're gaining anything putting them there.
Again, I'm not an expert by any means, just sharing my thoughts.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. The pressure will be equal through the entire tube before the BOV opens. Not an expert here though.
How does that spike travel? I think pressure is constant throughout the system, I'm not sure it raises pressure in one location before it does in another. I don't have a background in fluid dynamics though...
Pressure is constant when dealing with liquids. With gas flow it's a bit fuzzier. Frankly, I don't know that BOV placement is so critical, but then I've never build a boosted system.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had another thought on this ... the BOV doesn't open from pressure in the tube alone, it opens from manifold vacuum and pressure in the tube (really the delta between the two). So, it doesn't matter if the pressure is equal in your tube.

I do think at the TB is the best placement. It just seems logical for the diversion to be as short as possible, but I am not fluid dynamics expert.

BTW, really enjoying this discussion as I'm about to be doing this stuff too.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And thank you sir!!!! Don't know what part of the country you're in, but we always have room at our local cash days events!!!
I’m in the Fort Worth tx area. My truck isn’t fast anymore compared to what’s on the streets today. It only runs 6.50s on kill. Prime C10 (rip) would put a small gap on me at the line.

About the BOV I would put them at the TB, its at the “end” of the air flow. If they where in the middle air from both of ends would be meeting in the middle trying to go out. Really don’t know how to explain it.

Last edited: