Swapping Radiators on 92 GMC Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So the story is I have a 92 GMC Yukon and a parts 95 GMC Yukon. I was in an accident yesterday and busted the radiator in my 92. I then pulled the radiator out of my 95 but came to find out the 92 radiator has one additional hose right below the overflow return line below the fill cap. What is that for, it seems to me that it runs to something on the firewall not related to coolant. Will it harm the truck to run without that hose for now until I can repair/replace my other radiator. I am needing the truck tomorrow.

The picture below is what the 92 radiator looks like the hose I am talking about is the uppermost hose on the right hand side.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
95 has a different heater hose routing than the 92, it connects to that spot on the radiator instead of directly to the water pump. Some replacement radiators come with a rubber cap you can clamp to that fitting if you're not using it. You should be able to get one of those from the auto parts store.

Richard

Reaction score
Someoetherguy just to make sure you understand I am attempting to put the 95 radiator into the 92.

From what you said it sounds like the radiator will be of no use to me since heater hose will have nothing to connect to.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The routing depends on the year, I may have it mixed up due to fuzzy memory but honestly it sounds like someone already altered your '92. My '94 had the heater hose routing back to the radiator instead of the water pump...can't remember my old '92.

Anyway either radiator setup can be used in either year; if your radiator has the extra connection on it you run the hose to that. If it doesn't, you run it to the side of the water pump - in which case if it doesn't have the connection for it, you have to pull the plug and install a hose nipple.

The hose connection you're looking at is the return line from the heater core.

EDIT - ya know what now that I think about it, my '92 had that line too; I must have my memory swapped on the later years. '95 must have gone back to the water pump.

Richard