Superchips tuner/programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may want to look at a 411 PCM swap before tuning the black box. I did it last year. It was a simple enough 3 hour job (less if you don't run the xmission range wire). It's the only upgrade I've done on my truck that made a noticeable difference.

DavidAlan

Reaction score
I have one huge and simple question, are you planning to upgrade anything else besides the chip?, before you spend money.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to do the 411, but since I drive this every day, and I want to swap to a 4L80, gonna wait on the swap. It would make sense just to do it the 0411, but with the tune, there's nothing else to swap. Yeah I could tune the 0411 for the 4L60, but then would have to tune it again when swap to the 4L80.

Motor is all stock right now. Not sure what I'm gonna do to it. I was gonna do an LS 6.0, it's in the back of my truck, but that ain't happening any time soon. Right now it (will have headers soon), new intermediate pipes, no cats, 2 to 1 y-pipe going into a Borla XR-1 3" and 3" Dynomax tailpipe. Cold air kit too. Truck runs pretty good now. When I put the Borla on I lost some, think it flow too good lol, but gonna swap that out cause it drones in the cab something killer. Need some back pressure. I have 2 0411's, one is already set for a Vortec/4L80, would just need to swap the VIN. The other is for a 6.0 I think, not that it matters.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't it make more sense to use the 411 with the 6.0 tune (that you will not use), reflash for the vortec/4L60, and install vice doing anything with the black box? The 411 communicates with the 4L80 using the same wires as it does the 4L60 with the addition of three more. Point being that if you do the 411 swap with the 4L60 you won't have to undo anything with the 4L80 but just add the extra wires to the harness and swap the modules. By doing it with your 4L60 you'll just have one less thing down the road.

bluetahoe

Reaction score
Black Bear Performance can absolutely tune the '96-'97 black box PCMs in addition to the '98+. They tuned my red '97.

Thanks, I emailed them and they said they could do the "traditional" tune. Which is not user adjustable for things like going between towing vs not towing.

HOw does your Blackbear tuned ecm differ from before when you had the stock?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, I emailed them and they said they could do the "traditional" tune. Which is not user adjustable for things like going between towing vs not towing.

HOw does your Blackbear tuned ecm differ from before when you had the stock?

That is correct. They don't offer scan cable or in-person tunes for the black box PCMs. I don't believe the black boxes ever supported things like tow/haul mode so that's more of a hardware limitation than something Black Bear doesn't offer.

For one thing, the tuned PCM runs the 4L80E I swapped in. It's also tuned to run on 91 octane. Speed limiter removed. Gas mileage stayed about the same but performance is noticeably better. It's a massive improvement over stock.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the "411" pcm you can run a Custom Operating System and have a switch wired to the PCM. I use this function to switch from 87 octane and 93 octane timing on the fly on my turbo trucks.