Jet dynamic spectrum tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am thinking about buying one from Jet and have read that this is the old Tunercats stuff. I would use it for my 1999 k2500, and 1998 s10. The s10 might eventually get a vortec 5.7/4l80e (2wd), or might just keep using the 4.3/4l60e.

I prefer to stick with the old black boxes and have kept an old laptop that runs windows 10, would use that only for programming trucks. It sounds like not being able to datalog is the main downfall of this set up, but I do have an innova scanner that I can use to look at fuel trims and stuff.

Blackbear has tuned (mail order) both trucks, and tells me that I can modify their tunes if i'd like using the jet. I am not complaining about BB, just want to learn more and be able to make changes myself. I honestly thought about going backwards and carb swapping this stuff, but the tuner costs less than just one decent carb... So I am thinking of going this route instead.

I have joined gearhead efi and am learning some stuff there, but I will also need help from some of you that have experience with this stuff.

Any input/advice on this?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well, I've been looking at JET DST for years now. Even more so recently...

I thought you could data log with it though?

Paging @1998_K1500_Sub, I know he has experience with this.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had JET DST since about 2005. I had been using TunerCat for my older vehicles and when I eventually needed an OBDII solution they steered me to DST, which has a similar / identical tuner GUI.

But… I don’t remember using DST to log data. I don’t believe DST will datalog.

I’ve used AutoTap to log my GM OBDII vehicles for years. There's probably something better available these days.

One can download and install a trial version of DST and peruse the menu options. It’s available on JET’s website, details here:

Post in thread '1998 2 door tahoe'
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1998-2-door-tahoe.59174/post-1261037

I don’t happen to have my DST laptop nearby or I would look through its menus myself.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are not doing 96 or 97, just get HP Tuners. 98+ is supported.

I don't understand keeping the black box personally and I have tuned more than a few of then. Even on a factory engine, the factory van tune runs so nicely compared to a black box it was worth the time. I have gone a step above the 0411 and run my 97 on a DBC Blue/Green P59 with Mexican GMT800 L31 code. The P59 runs even better.

I will admit that I do have my 0411 back in my 97 currently. Real time tuning is not an option for the Export L31 P59 operating system, but is for the 2002 0411 van operating system. Real time tuning really makes quick work out of tuning the MAF, VE, Spark tables and Idle tables.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will admit that I do have my 0411 back in my 97 currently. Real time tuning is not an option for the Export L31 P59 operating system, but is for the 2002 0411 van operating system. Real time tuning really makes quick work out of tuning the MAF, VE, Spark tables and Idle tables.

So I assume, once you've got the MAF, VE, spark and idle tables where you want them using the 0411, you'll apply them to the Export L31 P59, and re-install it.

Have the Export L31 P59 and 2002 0411 OS options been discussed much on GMT400? This is the first I've read about them. I need to crawl out from under my rock more often. I'll do a search and see what comes up.

(edit) Here's something relevant (I wonder who the author may be)...

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am sure that the 411 is much better, but wanted to keep it simple/inexpensive.

I think that I will stick with the bb tunes and have them make adjustments when needed. I would probably wreck too much stuff trying to figure it out anyways.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well, I've been looking at JET DST for years now. Even more so recently...

I thought you could data log with it though?

Paging @1998_K1500_Sub, I know he has experience with this.

If you are still looking at buying one of these, Jet has a new discount code that gives you 20% off. I tried the code (this time) and it works on the 14005. It was $460 shipped. JETGARAGEVIP

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are still looking at buying one of these, Jet has a new discount code that gives you 20% off. I tried the code (this time) and it works on the 14005. It was $460 shipped. JETGARAGEVIP

Appreciate the heads up, I'm hopefully ordering one in the next week or two. Might go through Summit though, they have the 14005 for $399 with free shipping.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are not doing 96 or 97, just get HP Tuners. 98+ is supported.

I don't understand keeping the black box personally and I have tuned more than a few of then.

For starters - I do appreciate your experience with these things, but I am not swapping to anything other than the black box. If I ever remove the black box, it will be to throw it in the trash when swapping to a carb.

Now that that is said - When you have tuned the black boxes - do you remember if you were able to keep the tcc clutch locked when you are (almost) off of the throttle? Maybe the black box is too dumb to even have that as a possibility??

My only complaint with my current tune is that when driving in snow or traffic, each time that I lift and then give it throttle, the tcc clutch needs to re-lock.

Thanks.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve had JET DST since about 2005. I had been using TunerCat for my older vehicles and when I eventually needed an OBDII solution they steered me to DST, which has a similar / identical tuner GUI.

When you have tuned the black boxes - do you remember if you were able to keep the tcc clutch locked when you are (almost) off of the throttle? Maybe the black box is too dumb to even have that as a possibility??

My only complaint with my current tune is that when driving in snow or traffic, each time that I lift and then give it throttle, the tcc clutch needs to re-lock.