Jet dynamic spectrum tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This to me sounds like the best advice around, but...

How does one know / judge what the pressures ought to be? The required pressure at any given time must at least depend on...

- which each "gear" the trans is in (as there may be different clutches / bands / servos involved in each gear)

- composition of the friction materials,

- the engine's applied torque, and

- the torque converter's torque multiplication, and

- maybe other stuff.

"What's the proper pressure" is something I've wondered about for years.

Do tell.
Like most other things in the go fast world.. Experience..
Ive burnt up transmissions and broke several transmissions in this whole ordeal.
Then going by GM pressure specs and some aftermarket components specs, you atleast have a window of pressures to shoot for depending on whats done inside the transmission.
Here are some basics for a 4L60E. 70-80 PSI at idle when up to temp (~150*). WOT 210-230PSI. You can interpolate between idle and WOT to get a linear slope of pressure.

4L80E 60-70psi warm idle, 180-200PSI WOT.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be very careful when following JET's software installation instructions (onto your laptop), they're very poorly written.

Mine just showed up. You weren't kidding. So the very last line on the sheet...

"You can use the standard auto run feature to install the JETFlash program and USB drivers."

Do the installers for these items need to be run in XP SP2 compatibility mode as well? Or can I just open autorun.exe normally and go from there?

Already got the main tuning software installed and adjusted according to the instructions, seems to have gone well but I'm not going to open it until I've installed everything else.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine just showed up. You weren't kidding. So the very last line on the sheet...

"You can use the standard auto run feature to install the JETFlash program and USB drivers."

^^^ Yeah, but meanwhile, IIRC they say to "NOT use the autorun feature to install the tuner GUI on Win11"... and they don't tell you that until you've read through almost the entire sheetj of installation instructions! But you already know this by now :waytogo:

Do the installers for these items need to be run in XP SP2 compatibility mode as well? Or can I just open autorun.exe normally and go from there?

Sorry, I don't remember.

Already got the main tuning software installed and adjusted according to the instructions, seems to have gone well but I'm not going to open it until I've installed everything else.

The main tuning software / GUI is independent of the Flash program, so run the tuner now if you like (if you haven't already). I wish I could send you an ECU config file to load into the tuner and "try out" but I'm not near my "tuner" laptop so I don't have one handy, to send.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think I got it!

I just opened autorun.exe and installed the JETFlash program and USB drivers with no compatibility mode settings on either. They both installed just fine. I've opened and run both JETFlash and the tuner successfully, so it looks like everything is good so far. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll hook the box up to the laptop and try to read a PCM in something.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It works! I did a thing! :lol: :cool:

I went over to my dad's house this evening and convinced him to let me use his truck ('06 3500 4WD, 6.0/4L80E) as a guinea pig. He's been having some issues with persistent (but very intermittent) check engine lights due to P0442 (EVAP small leak) codes. He's had it checked and smoke tested multiple times, our usual mechanic can't find anything wrong. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem in the GMT800 world. I figured I'd check and see if there was anything I could do to reduce the frequency of that check engine light in the DST software.

I had one small hiccup getting the JETFlash program to connect to the PCM in the truck. On my first attempt to read the PCM there was no communication and it would throw an error message after about 10 seconds. I checked the quick start PDF for any kind of troubleshooting, there was none. So I poked around in the JETFlash menus for a minute and found that you need to go to Setup>Comm Port and manually select which port your hardware is on. Very simple to do, as any port that your USB box isn't connected to will read as "invalid port" in the menu. Simply select the one that doesn't have that notation next to it. After I did that I was able to connect and read the PCM with no issues, it did take about 10 minutes though. I saved the file and made sure I labeled it correctly as the stock tune.

After I grabbed that file I started looking at it in the tuning software. I discovered that in the "Emissions Diagnostics" menu there's an entry for the P0442 code with a check box and a drop down menu. The options in the drop down are:

MIL on 1st Error (Type A)
MIL on 2nd Error (Type B)
No MIL (Type C)
No Error Reporting (Type X)

By default the box next to the entry was checked, and Type A was selected in the drop down menu. I changed the menu to Type B, and then saved the change to a new file. I verified that the change had been implemented by closing the tuning software and re-opening that file, my change was still there.

After that the moment of truth... I set everything up according to the instructions and prepared to flash my new file to the truck's PCM. It took about two minutes and the truck made some strange noises in the process, but everything went well. I disconnected everything and shut the key off, then waited a few seconds and started the truck. It fired right up and nothing caught on fire, so mission accomplished. I don't know if I made anything better, but at least now I know the software is installed correctly and the hardware is functional. If it turns out that this change was a bad idea I can always go back to the stock tune.

I have a couple of questions for @1998_K1500_Sub and anyone else who has experience with JET DST... Both regarding the options I encountered for diagnostic codes. First, what does "MIL on 2nd Error (Type B)" actually mean? Is that second error total or consecutive? Also does unchecking the box next to the entry basically have the same effect as setting the drop down menu to Type X?

On another note I was going to disable VATS while I was in there, but I could only find one option related to it and kind of wanted confirmation from someone else before I tried it. It's under Switches>Calibration Options, and the option is "VATS Fail-Enabled Option (X=Enabled)" with a check box next to it. The box is not checked by default. Am I correct in assuming that checking this box will prevent the PCM from looking for a VATS signal?

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, what does "MIL on 2nd Error (Type B)" actually mean? Is that second error total or consecutive?

Good question. Based on that description you gave above ("MIL on 2nd Error") I assume that there has to be TWO errors within a "window" (the "window" is probably a sliding window based start-stop cycles or similar, e.g., "window" == "the last 15 start-stop cycles"). So, "after two errors within the window" the MIL will be set. If one or fewer occur within that window, it remains off.

I used this same feature to disable an O2 sensor error on Suburban, at least until I could get around to replacing it. I got tired of looking at the light, so I zapped the ECU to disable the MIL until I replaced the O2 :waytogo:

Also does unchecking the box next to the entry basically have the same effect as setting the drop down menu to Type X?

I'm not certain. You might investigate using the time-tested, scientific method of "try it and see".

On another note I was going to disable VATS ... It's under Switches>Calibration Options, and the option is "VATS Fail-Enabled Option (X=Enabled)" with a check box next to it. The box is not checked by default. Am I correct in assuming that checking this box will prevent the PCM from looking for a VATS signal?

On my 1998 Suburban the option was similar, e.g., the VATS option was under the Switches>Calibration Option (see my prior post on GMT400 here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/blac...ity-rear-o2s-anything-else.54578/post-1231366)

I simply changed the default setting (i.e., checking the box), saved and then flashed the ECU :popcorn:

Last edited:

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a way to DL the Jet software online?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to DL the Jet software online?

@df2x4 mentioned the demo software, offered here: https://jetchip.com/software-updates/

Their actual "tuner" GUI software IMHO *ought* to be offered on-line (but isn't), just so people could try it out! What would the harm be? It's not terribly useful unless you have JET's hardware interface, i.e., the one that goes between the laptop / ECU and enables communication b/t the two. When you buy the "kit", like @df2x4 did, you get the software (on a flash drive) and the hardware interface in one pkg.

JET does have "updates" to the software available on-line here: https://jetchip.com/software-updates/ An oddity I've noticed is, as of this writing, the "updates" (above link) aren't as current as the latest shipping version of the GUI that's included in the "kit". @df2x4, check me on this.

Finally, unless JET's agreement / "license" precludes it, someone ought to post their installation software on-line so others can at least try it out. W.R.T. GMT400 for instance, posting the GUI installer and a few ECU bin files would be useful to many, and might actually help JET sell their product.