MTG2500 vs HP tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some help from people smarter than me…

I’m going down the scan tool rabbit hole, the MTG2500 seems like a great deal but I just can’t find out if it’s bi-directional. Will it do an ABS bleed on our OBD2 trucks? Crank relearn?

The other scan tool option I’m thinking about is a pass through unit with a laptop and software which leads me to HP tuners. I know HP can be used to stream data and check codes but is it bi-directional? OR could I use the HP tuners pass through with another software that is? And does the data stream and scanner portion of hp tuners only work in the ECM it’s married too?

I rarely have use for a scan tool at work so I don’t want to be $2500 or more invested in one. I traded a solus pro in on a bigger tool box and all I have is a $5 code reader.

Can y’all point me in A direction? It doesn’t even have to be the RIGHT direction. I’ve worked on cars for like 17 years but my scan tool diagnostics experience is extremely limited. Most of the stuff I diagnose can still be done with a VOM, I can’t bleed the abs module on my truck with one though…

Here’s another random picture of my 97
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HP can't give you an answer on capabilities? Decide what you want to do first, then choose what fits your needs. Why spend thousands when all you have are pre "can bus" or first generation OBD 2.
I'll be getting a "VCX nano" and " Tech 2 " . That will cover OBD 1, OBD 2, up through CAN bus vehicles.
Good luck.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a non GM only device, that will bleed the brakes and do a crank relearn on my 97

Decide what you want to do first, then choose what fits your needs.
I don’t know what fits those needs

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 95% sure you only need credits for HPT to write to the PCM. You can read/scan without licensing the PCM. That's when I recall doing it anyway. You can do the crank relearn with it, but I don't think it does any ABS functions.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 95% sure you only need credits for HPT to write to the PCM. You can read/scan without licensing the PCM
That’s what I’ve gathered from the internet. Nobody says anything about bi-directional functionality so maybe that answers that part of the question.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hp tuners only talks to ecm and tcm, and does not deal with other modules. I have a china copy scanner that does decent and was around $350, but need to check if it does 97 abs

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is vident ilink400. I have GM and Ford license on mine. Only real issue I had was needed to get a new SD card for it
Oh cool, I saw that on eBay, I sent them my vin and asked them too.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@yevgenievich they emailed me back and said “they couldn’t find my truck on the list” for abs bleed.
I’ll wait and see if you can get yours to work before I write it off.