Superchips tuner/programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buddy has a superchips for the black box trucks, thinking of getting it if it's worth it for my 98 Tahoe. Didn't get a part number, but can't imagine too many options from Superchips for the later GMT400s. I can get it for $200.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it can do a bunch from a plug in tuner. But I know mail order tunes can be more involved. Just don't (can't) be without the Tahoe till the ECM comes back. Guess gives me more of a reason to get the yukon motor swap going....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it can do a bunch from a plug in tuner. But I know mail order tunes can be more involved. Just don't (can't) be without the Tahoe till the ECM comes back. Guess gives me more of a reason to get the yukon motor swap going....

Pay the core charge and you won't go without.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Also X2. As an added bonus you can choose to keep your stock PCM so if you ever want to send the tuned one back in for alterations, you can slap the stock one back in the truck and drive it while you wait. There is no down time with a Black Bear mail order tune unless you deliberately choose to send your PCM in for tuning to avoid the core charge.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i thought about that, but then talked to someone they said even between a Tahoe and a truck there is wiring differences. I can't imagine there would be between a 2wd and a 4wd Tahoe, but there are NO 2wd Tahoe's where I am. I'll do some checking today.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now I'm confused. Why would you be hunting for another PCM? If you pay the core charge they send you one already tuned and give you the option to either send in your stock one after the fact or keep it and eat the $60 core charge.

Also the only wiring differences I'm aware of regarding the PCM are between the '96-'97 and '98+ PCMs.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Junkyards are plentiful where I am. My thinking was get a ECM from the junkyard so I can drive it, then send mine in to get tuned. I can get an ECM cheaper than their core charge. I was told that even though I have a 98 Tahoe, an ECM from a 98 truck could be different. Not necessarily the wiring but the tune. They list 3 different service numbers for my Tahoe, some fro an S-10. Not sure how that works...