Suburban down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it does turn out that your engine has serious issues you could always grab a good 350 from a salvage yard and drop it in. According to car-part.com they're going for between $6-900 in my area.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it does turn out that your engine has serious issues you could always grab a good 350 from a salvage yard and drop it in. According to car-part.com they're going for between $6-900 in my area.

I'll keep that in mind. Well see what happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I also want to take off the valve covers and start it up to see what's its doing as it runs.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that's what will most likely be done if the damage is too severe. 6g is too much. I see 350 about 2g but still never know. For now I'll tinker with the stuff I'm more comfortable with
Yeah it’s pretty high I definitely cant afford it. The stock crate for me is around $3100, not too bad. It may get pushed off for a while if i end up buying a new truck though. I hate having problems with my truck, i miss it lol.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty high I definitely cant afford it. The stock crate for me is around $3100, not too bad. It may get pushed off for a while if i end up buying a new truck though. I hate having problems with my truck, i miss it lol.

So if I did get a 383, would it for sure have to get tuned? Gm says it's a drop in replacement, and tune are optional to get more power, but is it necessary? Everybody I've talked with says because i have a vortec I'll trigger codes if I do?

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I don't think too many of us have a 383 in the budget anytime soon! I need to get my front end work done and buy 2 tires, and my Burb has begun doing this thing where it needs a little extra gas on startup. Might be the coolant temperature sensor going bad, might be fuel pressure regulator, oh and yes it's a vortec so intake gaskets and fuel injection are needed.......I thought it was a Chevrolet not that money pit ferd.....at least it still runs! 383 would be my ultimate goal too. Everything good about a small block, but you do have to pay for it.
You know i really wanted a 383 but then i got do thinking, just go ahead and get it on the road then worry about power later lol. You pay what it’s worth with a small block for sure.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I did get a 383, would it for sure have to get tuned? Gm says it's a drop in replacement, and tune are optional to get more power, but is it necessary? Everybody I've talked with says because i have a vortec I'll trigger codes if I do?
I dont think you absolutely have to, i think like you said it’s mainly to unlock all of the engines potential.