Suburban down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! I gotta work on my Burb this weekend, cause it's gotta be ready to go to Austin next Saturday. No bux for a rental ( they want too much now!).
That is true. Rentals are very expensive now. Keep us posted with your burb. Austin quite a drive. I wanna take mine to galv this weekend but I'm gonna let her sit this one out

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any help would be much appreciated. Recently I adjusted my rockers arms. Because I was hearing a ticking, I inspected my lifters and pushrods. All was wearing normal so reinstalled everything per gm service manual. Buttoned up everything back together and reinstalled my distributor since I had to removed the upper intake. Truck would crank but not start. When I finally got it started it was -7 out of time. As of now the truck will die if I try to drive it. If I start it, the motor will idle as long as you do not Rev the engine or put it in gear. Once the engine hot it normally cannot be restarted.
I know time is a issue, but from my understanding -7 should not kill the engine or prevent it from starting.
I've confirmed spark, and fuel. My question is does anybody have any ideas what could kill my engine when I Rev it?
I've checked my coil, cap, rotor, cam sensor,crank sensor, map, mass, and wires. All is checking out accept recently my mass air flow is showing a p1351.
I've also inspected wiring harness and pigtails. All look normal.
Also if you extremely slowly Rev the engine, the engine will Rev to high rpms.
Any ideas what to test or check?

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So a P1351 has to do with irregular voltage within the ICM. I would start by checking power and ground at the ICM and possibly check resistance as well(I don't know what the value should be).

I'm assuming your truck is 96+ correct?

I've personally never experienced any issues with the ICM on the vortec engine.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a P1351 has to do with irregular voltage within the ICM. I would start by checking power and ground at the ICM and possibly check resistance as well(I don't know what the value should be).

I'm assuming your truck is 96+ correct?

I've personally never experienced any issues with the ICM on the vortec engine.
Yes and I've checked that per gm service manual. All reading normal. The steps had me check continuity, ground, and volts, as well as alternating current. It did not read checking resistance on the module itself. As a side note I plugged in a new module from oreilly for ***** and giggles and same symptom

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Yes and I've checked that per gm service manual. All reading normal. The steps had me check continuity, ground, and volts, as well as alternating current. It did not read checking resistance on the module itself. As a side note I plugged in a new module from oreilly for ***** and giggles and same symptom
Hmm. Do you have access to a scanner with live data?

How about checking the wires that go to the ICM?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm. Do you have access to a scanner with live data?

How about checking the wires that go to the ICM?
The wires to the icm is what I checked. As far as scanner, yes. I've been using a autel mx808 I believe. Live data didn't show anything out of the obvious.
Thanks for the help, btw as of now the truck at a shop. A family relative is going to mess with it since he has access to more expensive equipment. Hopefully he will find the cause of it.