Steering/turn radius question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 96 c1500 and the turn radius is ok, not horrible but not great. It has very little play in the steering wheel. I drove my friends 97 k1500 and here’s what i noticed-

-I felt like the steering wheel could make more revolutions than my 96 before hitting the stops.

-idk how else to describe it, but the steering felt smooth and easy. It took less physical effort to turn the wheel than my 96.

-it had a little more steering wheel play than my 96.

Aside from the extra play (which I don’t really mind) I much preferred the steering and maneuverability of the 97 k1500. So my questions are-
What is different between these two trucks that makes his truck turn way better than mine? Steering box? Does it being 4wd somehow make it better? How can I makes my 96 c1500 steer like his?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ The EVO system that '97+ got is the only difference I can think of.

IMO, consider yourself lucky that your '96 doesn't have EVO and all the issues that come with it. When it works it's great, but when it goes wrong it usually does so when you're on the highway changing lanes and scares the crap out of you.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the 97+ got different steering boxes. Was EVO the only difference, or did the gear ratio change as well?

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 K2500 pretty firm, I can steer one finger, wife could not. My mother bought a 98 K2500 Suburban that had way lighter steering my wife could steer with one finger. I had a friend at United Airlines, used to be GM tech. Hey what's with lighter steering on Sub's. He was told all the Soccer moms complaining about steer effort. So they made it have less resistance for all the whinny soccer moms. His quote.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got it. So there’s no real way to make my turn radius better?

There is a quick ratio steering gear you could swap in, but that won't change your turning radius. Just reduce the amount of turns your steering wheel needs to travel from lock to lock.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also this is probably a dumb question but would bigger tires (32s compared to stock 29s) and a spindle lift make the turn radius worse? (Assuming I am not rubbing on anything) I cannot seem to find a straight answer anywhere on this topic.