Clunk When Turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually ending up going with moog. Bought them on Amazon cuz they where cheaper than buying on rockauto.com & i got them next day. I bought the pitman arm - Idler arm and braket all moog. I actually just finished installing it all. I haven't test drove it. But already I can't move the wheel side to side like before. Also made sure I greased all my grease points in my suspension even the new pitman arm and idler arm. I was looking at those mevotech but didn't find to many review on those. I had used the ac delco onces before but they didn't even last a year. If your going to be doing the job just quick tip you don't have to remove the steering box out the truck to install the pitman arm. Or disconnect your steering lines. Just disconnect the 3 bolts holding the steering box. The steering box will drop a bit. The 1 bolt holding the steering shaft to steering box. Pull the steering box forward and you'll have room to put the puller on there and take it off. I also installed the new one on there. Just hit it with the torque gun.
I’ve used some moog products and they are good. Maybe i’ll go moog, what ever is more affordable at the time.

Thanks for the tips, saved this post!

Let us know how it handles

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, Firestone has a lifetime alignment plan. I paid $99(got some discounts and their firestone creditcard). (As long as you have the vehicle)

Each alignment would’ve been $89, i’ve been there twice already and will be going in back again once I rebuild my front end.

Edit!! …

++ free brake check. (the techs that looked at my brakes said everything was fine. It really wasn’t, my front left disk was warped and my rear left drum was grabbing on one side of the shoes..) not the best check but it’s out there..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can't inspect brakes properly, do you really trust them to adjust the alignment?

Wild Guess with no evidence: They roll it on the rack "for show", and if it's anywhere close to what it should be, they tell you they adjusted it and send it out the door.

Stevie Wonder could do an "alignment" just as good, and it'd take less time.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they can't inspect brakes properly, do you really trust them to adjust the alignment?

Wild Guess with no evidence: They roll it on the rack "for show", and if it's anywhere close to what it should be, they tell you they adjusted it and send it out the door.

Stevie Wonder could do an "alignment" just as good, and it'd take less time.
Daaaang lol

I’m relying on the receipt with the prior/after alignment #’s. I have some loost components so it’s not perfect atm.. once i do my front end it should be better!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been to a Firestone exactly one time, getting tires mounted and balanced on my dad's '06 3500. They were supposed to align it too, but put it on the rack and tried to tell us that the front end had excessive play and needed $600 worth of parts before they'd do it. Told them to pull it out and immediately took it to our usual mechanic, who confirmed that everything was 100% fine.

That experience was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it comes to chain tire shops. Never again if I can help it.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is a "torque gun"? Torque ratchet? Impact gun?
Sorry thats what we call it. Yes an impact gun. Used the Milwaukee impact the biggest one they got believe it's the 3/4 one. Rented the pitman arm tool at autozone.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've been to a Firestone exactly one time, getting tires mounted and balanced on my dad's '06 3500. They were supposed to align it too, but put it on the rack and tried to tell us that the front end had excessive play and needed $600 worth of parts before they'd do it. Told them to pull it out and immediately took it to our usual mechanic, who confirmed that everything was 100% fine.

That experience was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it comes to chain tire shops. Never again if I can help it.
Here in the Eugene, Oregon area, we deal with Firestone and Goodyear and Les Schwab tire stores, "Needs Everything" inspections. I can stay pretty busy because of those shops.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, Firestone has a lifetime alignment plan.
The last time I deployed, my wife went to Firestone to get new tires on my '99 Suburban. They told her it needed new ball joints for $1800 (IIRC). I told her to tell them to f*** off. When I got home I ordered up a set of ball joints and set aside a weekend to do the work. I jacked it up and checked the ball joint before disassembly and it was nice and tight. I played around with the wheel and quickly found the pitman and idler arms were shot. Less than $100 in parts and a couple hours of work and it was good.

From everything I can tell, Firestone pushes upsells pretty hard on their techs, and their techs are usually straight out of Vo-Tech with very little experience. They use their big name and customers' ignorance to abuse their customers' trust. They routinely charge 2x what a reputable shop would to perform work. Whenever one of my airmen had car trouble they'd ask about taking it to Firestone and I always steered them clear and recommended a good mom and pop shop. The one guy who didn't listen to me got bent over pretty hard.