1993 C1500 5.7TBI stalls when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pjhanlo

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I’m having an issue on my 1993 5.7l TBI.

Attempted to replace distributor this last weekend, could not get the engine started. Chalked it up to a faulty distributor so to test this I threw the old one in. Started up immediately, timed it to 0 degrees without the advance plugged in.

Engine idles and sounds great. Now I’m running into the issue of it stalling when I turn the wheel in gear?

This also only occurs after the advance wire has been plugged back in.

Advance unplugged - no issues with stalling when I try to turn, the RPMs barely even budge

Advance plugged in - even the smallest turn kills the Rpm’s and eventually stalls the engine.

I’m at a loss

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, verify all sensors and computer outputs especially:

Verify that the ignition advance works like it should.

Verify the IAC operation.

Does the PS pump whine louder before it stalls? (i.e., the PS pressure isn't sky-high leading to high engine load.)

Wouldn't hurt to check fuel pressure and assure that the usual "tune-up" items and procedures are OK--distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, PCV system, EGR system, heated-air intake system, etc.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So anything which puts a slight load on engine causes it to stall? ie. does putting in gear and pulling forward or backward at idle also stall? or only turning wheel causes the stall?

Just curious - why were you changing distributor in first place? I assume it didn't stall when turning wheel before attempting to replace the distributor.

In general, when something new starts to happen after you replace or try to replace something it's usually a result of something inadvertently done during whatever. That is, the PS pump could be bad or fuel pressure could be low - but unlikely to have gone bad while changing the distributor. Perhaps some vacuum hose was cracked, something pulled off, connector or wire bad, shorting, etc. - maybe go back over all that carefully again?

If nothing obvious - then I'm with Shurkey and get codes, check fuel pressure, grounds,
Good Luck!