Clunk When Turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's it going guys. I'm here with a bit of a problem that I see has been talked about before on here but never solved. Just to bring you guys in to the details. Last year I replaced all my steering and front suspension. New ball joints all ac delco. New upper and lower bushings. New steering box ,idle arm. New sway bar with new bushings. Even all new links and cv axles as well new wheel bearings. But I've had this persistent clunk when I'm turning the steering wheel. The clunk is coming from the driver side. It only does it when I turn the wheel all the way. It won't do it with minor turning. I'm at a loss because everything is brand new.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Noise since the work or was there before all the work? Turn the wheel all the way right or left? There are steering stops that stop the knuckle from going further than it should and they can cause a noise when all the way turned. Do you hear it sitting still and turned all the way or when moving or both? Make sure the steering gear is tight at it's mount. Make sure all attaching nuts/bolts are tight. When the bushings were tightened down after attaching, was the front end weight set on the ground? A video of the noise would help. Plus, as @CumminsFever said, would help to know the vehicle info. Is it a secret?

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you tell us what vehicle you're talking about?
A video of the "clunk" would help, if you can do that.
Sorry about that it's a 97 yukon. I'm going to try and video record it but it's so random when it happens. Doesn't do it all the time. I saw this thread that about there being to much play in the bolt for the shocks. That can cause that clunk. I did experience this same issue even before I changed everything including the shocks. I did however use cheap Monroe shocks so I had to trim down the sleeves that it had on the shocks. It's always only accured on the drivers even here it at times when I brake. Everything brake related is also new. New ac delco rotors. New calipers & pads. I'm start by checking the shocks for movement and than ima check my sliding pins on my calipers to make sure it's not binding or something

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry about that it's a 97 yukon. /clip/
Another idea is to set up a vid camera in the area of the clunk and see what happens. Doesn't need to be a go pro or something expensive. Amazon probably has thousands of cheap vid cams.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update so i ended up finding out my Pitman arm is no good and is what's causing the noise I'm hearing. I lifted the driver side up with jack and rocked the tire left and right and had alot of play. Could also explain why I have loose steering. My question now is which brand Pitman arm should I get. I'm questioning using ac delco because I had put a brand new one and obviously it was no good. Was thinking moog or if you guys have other suggestions even if I have to pay alittle more for a better part

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update so i ended up finding out my Pitman arm is no good and is what's causing the noise I'm hearing. I lifted the driver side up with jack and rocked the tire left and right and had alot of play. Could also explain why I have loose steering. My question now is which brand Pitman arm should I get. I'm questioning using ac delco because I had put a brand new one and obviously it was no good. Was thinking moog or if you guys have other suggestions even if I have to pay alittle more for a better part
What did you end up going with?

I'll be purchasing mostly Mevotech Supreme for my front end rebuild if my budget is on track, if not Mevotech regular .

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did you end up going with?

I'll be purchasing mostly Mevotech Supreme for my front end rebuild if my budget is on track, if not Mevotech regular .
I actually ending up going with moog. Bought them on Amazon cuz they where cheaper than buying on rockauto.com & i got them next day. I bought the pitman arm - Idler arm and braket all moog. I actually just finished installing it all. I haven't test drove it. But already I can't move the wheel side to side like before. Also made sure I greased all my grease points in my suspension even the new pitman arm and idler arm. I was looking at those mevotech but didn't find to many review on those. I had used the ac delco onces before but they didn't even last a year. If your going to be doing the job just quick tip you don't have to remove the steering box out the truck to install the pitman arm. Or disconnect your steering lines. Just disconnect the 3 bolts holding the steering box. The steering box will drop a bit. The 1 bolt holding the steering shaft to steering box. Pull the steering box forward and you'll have room to put the puller on there and take it off. I also installed the new one on there. Just hit it with the torque gun.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I actually ending up going with moog. Bought them on Amazon cuz they where cheaper than buying on rockauto.com & i got them next day. I bought the pitman arm - Idler arm and braket all moog. I actually just finished installing it all. I haven't test drove it. But already I can't move the wheel side to side like before. Also made sure I greased all my grease points in my suspension even the new pitman arm and idler arm. I was looking at those mevotech but didn't find to many review on those. I had used the ac delco onces before but they didn't even last a year. If your going to be doing the job just quick tip you don't have to remove the steering box out the truck to install the pitman arm. Or disconnect your steering lines. Just disconnect the 3 bolts holding the steering box. The steering box will drop a bit. The 1 bolt holding the steering shaft to steering box. Pull the steering box forward and you'll have room to put the puller on there and take it off. I also installed the new one on there. Just hit it with the torque gun.
What is a "torque gun"? Torque ratchet? Impact gun?