SCHOOL ME ON FLOOR PANS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of doing some much needed rust repair on a 95 Yukon and all of the floor pans I look at for sale are just flat.The floors in my truck have ribs/gussets running front to back. Is this a 2 door only thing? is it a changeover from early to late models? My 96 3500 extended cab has flat floor pans so I'm kinda scratching my head

Attachments

• YUKONFLOORIMG_0208.jpg
    YUKONFLOORIMG_0208.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 12
  • YUKONFLOORIMG_0206.jpg
    YUKONFLOORIMG_0206.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 12

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aftermarket floor pans are not always a perfect fit or identical, have flanges etc. The cheaper the stuff the worse it usually is.That toe-kick area I'm seeing, that has holes in it, might not be included with any floor pans. I prefer to hand fab some stuff, find sheet metal that has the same shapes out of the bodyshop scrap pile, or cut stuff out of a salvage truck. Doing them properly, welding them properly, seam sealing/corrosion protection/painting both sides of the piece you replace gets labor intensive quickly. It's not a job for panel bond.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ya Hipster,I figured all the aftermarket stuff is off a bit,but the gusset really has a purpose to strengthen the floor. Its crazy its not on the 96 3500 but on a 2 door 95.I can fab them if needed just wondering why it is that way. Maybe i will buy a panel and add the ribs?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe i will buy a panel and add the ribs?
Depends on if factory correct or functional is ok. Hd trucks weren't always built to the same crash standards as passenger vehicles as to why they might be different. Stitch some tubing in there, bead roll some grooves, have seen guys run a groove in a 2x4 with a router and hammer form channels.(it's crude but adds stiffness)

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The more realistic view is , every year and every model is unique to itself. Whatever rational the factory and engineers decided, they probably didn't let on to anybody else. It would best not see why aren't they same . But each as an apple and an orange. Their not the same vehicle.
Be because trying to understand why engineers do what they do will give you a migraine or make your brain explode.
Almost every day I think " just one day, just one , if could have the idiot that designed this mess, go through this torture" .
Holy... Now where's that blood coming from..,.... :3811797817_8d685371

Reaction score
LOL,Yes i totally understand, I work with engineers constantly and they do have some fantastic ways of doing things lol. Im sure the gussets have a purpose. Im just trying to figure out what trucks get them and which dont. Maybe its a year thing,a 2 door thing, a 4x4 thing,a specific factory thing. It would be nice if I could just buy some panels that were close. Im thinking i will have to do these myself

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ribbing adds stiffness to the panel and also resists twisting, which can cause popping and/or vibration. You want the ribbing.

Reaction score
I agree 100%. looks like nobody knows how or why some floors have it and some dont. I will probably buy some panels and draw my own ribs to mimic factory pans i guess.