Exterior handles plastic? metal? both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I mentioned yesterday, that after programming my new key fob, that the locks don't have the strength to actually lock/unlock the doors. This got me thinking about rehabbing the doors a bit. I've got one handle scratched up, and one that's cracked. I've watched a few videos on the replacement process. One guy with a 98 linked to some handles on Amazon and they've got choices of "all metal" and "metal lever". I assume that means the "metal lever" have plastic surrounds, which I believe is what GM used on my truck. Is the "all metal" for a different year, or is it simply an upgrade, like the glass headlights from Sypder?

I've also seen smooth and textured handles.... maybe that's the difference between late an early trucks? Mines a 99 with textured handles.

I thought about getting latches too, but I wonder if the cheapies are actually decent. I'm not really wanting to spend big GM bucks on my rusted doors.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Dorman replacement handle for my 03 Tacoma. It is plastic(mostly) with what I would call a metal lever(below).
You must be registered for see images attach

I also have NOS handles for my 96 K1500 that are all metal sitting in a box.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would not have thought that they would crack, if made of metal. Must be some crappy stuff, then. I assumed mine to be plastic since they seem to be black all the way through.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would not have thought that they would crack, if made of metal. Must be some crappy stuff, then. I assumed mine to be plastic since they seem to be black all the way through.
Pot metal. I think the later style handles with the wider plastic bezel have less support in the door shell and are more prone to cracking. I've seen all styles of them crack in pretty much the same place, but seems to be more of the later model ones. In the parts trucks I rarely had good driver's side handles for late model, but could easily dig up nice smooth early ones in good shape.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pot metal. I think the later style handles with the wider plastic bezel have less support in the door shell and are more prone to cracking. I've seen all styles of them crack in pretty much the same place, but seems to be more of the later model ones. In the parts trucks I rarely had good driver's side handles for late model, but could easily dig up nice smooth early ones in good shape.

Richard
Are Tahoe and Suburban rear handles a different part number?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compared to front? Yep. No hole for the lock tumbler.

Richard
Well then I’m confused, because aside from my 2 front left/right NOS handles that part numbers are confirmed fitment for my regular cab, I also got a 3rd handle that has a hole for lock. Looking it up GM 15725921 on gmpartsgiant.com confirms it as a rear handle for TahoeSuburban and it has a key hole. Weird, cause even the little sketch appears to have key hole drawn.

Disregard the part number on plastic piece in photo, the 15725921 is under the plastic part.

Another example:

Last edited: