Exterior handles plastic? metal? both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. "Rear" as in alllllll the way back rear. Not rear passenger doors. Those don't have keyholes on 4dr SUV's or crew cabs.

Richard
What’s the typical fail on them, the spring?
If you have keyless entry you can use a non key hole on drivers door :) just make sure your battery’s are good.
I do have keyless entry, but my originals seem in perfect working order and I have the NOS spare set. I’m sure that would work for some, but I wouldn’t recommend doing that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It’s more of a cosmetic and maybe anti theft. Kinda a “if ya know ya know” thing.

All ya gotta do is bash a screwdriver into the tumbler, turn it until the handle explodes right there, and you're in. Without a tumbler and that section of linkage it will indeed be more difficult to steal.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be more difficult, but if handles were “blanks’ and battery goes dead, now you can’t even open you hood. In the end, there’s a workaround for every scenario I guess. Like smashing glass.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be more difficult, but if handles were “blanks’ and battery goes dead, now you can’t even open you hood. In the end, there’s a workaround for every scenario I guess. Like smashing glass.

You've never locked your keys inside before? Just jam something above the door and fish around with a coat hanger until you can pull the lock up.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You've never locked your keys inside before? Just jam something above the door and fish around with a coat hanger until you can pull the lock up.

Last time I tried that on my truck I only managed to disconnect the handle from the latch, unfortunately. Locked or not, no one is opening that door from the outside.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Of course I have. But, I also have a hidden key which wouldn’t work on a keyless handle.

I keep a truck key in my daily driver car, as I usually have access to it. I've also had one on my garage, but now that I've rearranged it, I'm not sure I do anymore. I should fix that.