Exterior Door Handle, is there a way to adjust it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodymcf

Reaction score
I just replaced the exterior door handle on my 89 K1500. The one I removed was cracked and you had to pull the handle up all the way, with a little bit of force to get it to open. I figured this was because it was cracked but know the new one does the same thing. Is there a way to adjust the travel on the door handle so it doesn’t have to be pulled up to the very top to release?

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rod between the handle and the latch is likely bent. It's supposed to be a little bent, but it can be bent too much shortening it. You can try to straighten the rod out a little or grab a replacement from the junkyard. They are different side to side. The right side has green dip on the bottom and the left side has red dip.

Kodymcf

Reaction score
The rod between the handle and the latch is likely bent. It's supposed to be a little bent, but it can be bent too much shortening it. You can try to straighten the rod out a little or grab a replacement from the junkyard. They are different side to side. The right side has green dip on the bottom and the left side has red dip.
Thanks for the help, when I get the time to tear it back apart I will check it out!