1991 Z28 High School Time Capsule +

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Well, since I'm not doing much on the 'burb these days, I'll chronicle my adventures with this rig.

I've owned this car since high school, that's over two decades for those of you keeping track at home.

It was a factory L98/700R4 G92 dual cat car from the factory. It now sports a warmed up LQ9 based 6.0L and a T56 trans. It's got some awesome period correct speed parts including a Dana 44 warranty/parts counter replacement axle and a Banks Stinger TOTL exhaust setup (two on the left). Both the axle and Banks exhaust were purchased NIB, long long after they were sold.

The car puts 423hp to the wheels, and will trap 11.9's on drag radials in the 1/4.

Currently its getting the headliner replaced and will soon get the steering gear replaced. This winter I'm thinking it's time for better front brakes.

You must be registered for see images attach

So...
Project headliner is officially kicked off for the Z28. I broke down today and pulled the old stuff out, new red/black houndstooth material will be here tomorrow.
Material was still in good shape as far as color...just had delaminated from the foam backer. Flame Red is a 2-3 year color code, depending on which book you read from...no one makes replacement interior stuff in this color...it sucks.

Used a stiff bristle brush and some air to remove the old stuff:

Not bad for 31 years...

Needs some minor repairs to make it better and take care of some cracks:

1st coat of resin and glass cloth(in the worst areas, I'll add a couple of full length strips for rigidity also):

Had some FatMat RattleTrap *** left over from the '49 interior project, so I hit the roof panels. The floor and back wall are all covered in the same material in this car:

Last edited:

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be trading my Mk3 Supra (doesn't run) for a '90 Camaro in the next couple of weeks. Dunno if it's a Z car, but it's supposed to be a factory 305 and auto. Missing of course. I've always loved the 3rd Gens. As a kid my dream combo was a Z28 and a Z71! :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Heck yeah I dig third gen Camaros! First time I ever heard mc hammer was in a third gen lol.

I'll never forget the first Z03 Heritage Package Z28 I saw new in late 1991...it was red w/black heritage stripes. Looked like it was going 100mph sitting at the stop light.

I'm supposed to be trading my Mk3 Supra (doesn't run) for a '90 Camaro in the next couple of weeks. Dunno if it's a Z car, but it's supposed to be a factory 305 and auto. Missing of course. I've always loved the 3rd Gens. As a kid my dream combo was a Z28 and a Z71! :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

For sure on the "Z" combo! I'd love to have a white on red Z71 RCSB to match.

Oh yeah!!!! Love me a 3rd gen! Especially with 3 pedals. One day there will be one in the garage, despite what woman says!!! Lol

Just sneak one in, she'll never notice.

Made some more progress last night. Put some more glass mat down and resin'd the other side. For the most part should be done with the mat, but I think I'll hit both sides with one more coat of resin each.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Got a soft spot for 3rd gens myself. Tried my hardest, to get my mother to buy me a brand new '87 red IROC when I was 16. Not only was I crazy, bust delusional in thinking she could afford to do that, or would do it in the first place. I've always been a dreamer. lol

Still haven't owned one, but did have a later 2nd gen for a while.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Got a soft spot for 3rd gens myself. Tried my hardest, to get my mother to buy me a brand new '87 red IROC when I was 16. Not only was I crazy, bust delusional in thinking she could afford to do that, or would do it in the first place. I've always been a dreamer. lol

Still haven't owned one, but did have a later 2nd gen for a while.

I wouldn't mind a 2nd gen either. I picked this one up with 62k on the clock...the LS1 4th gens were just making an appearance at that time.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Some more pics:

Found the Banks setup on Detroit Craigslist after searching 10 years for this or the SLP setup. They guy had bought it in 2003 and never put it on his car. Most of the people that work at Banks now, know nothing about the 3rd gen F-body stuff Gale did.

The Dana 44 was purchased in 1985 or '86 by a guy out in CA who was big block swapping an '85 Z28. He never finished the swap and the rearend laid in his warehouse until I bought it in 2018ish. This one is setup with a 3.92 gear and a posi. It had a full Delco Morane rear disc brake swap included, mine already had the better PBR's from the factory. All new E-brake cables, and a new E-brake handle setup for the interior...pretty wild to see all the dated boxes once I had it all unwrapped.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Made some more progress over the last couple of days.

Headliner backer board now has 2 coats of poly resin on both sides, I decided not to add in any more glass, its fairly rigid as-is. No need to add extra weight for no reason. Last night I sanded down some of the high spots that showed up after drying, and took the shine off the bottom side where the fabric goes.

Now I need to lay out the fabric, cut it down to size (I bought some extra in-case I decided to do the sail panels and/or the sun visors(both in great shape, just wasn't sure on how I'd like it once the headliner has been changed), and wait for another set of hands to make the process a little easier.