Scanner or computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unreadable, un-tuneable, both?
I'll settle for reading.

(What is meant by 'Black Box'? Just a stock GM PCM? Aren't they all?)
Most folks have some place like Blackbear Performance tune those. DIY tuners usually upgrade from the Black Box to the newer 0411 that GM came out with in the 2000s. IDK, if you can find an .xdf and .adx file for it you should be able to read and data log at least. I have no personal experience with these PCMs.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Truth be told, I've not been near the truck with it yet or the lap top that will be used for that. Just trying it on this lap top (that has a crap battery). Maybe it will work straight off the bat on the lap top I intend using (Win 7 with a good battery).
I'll still need the appropriate BIN though?

Higher priority is to see what Rock Auto have to say about replacing duff master cylinder....

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the PC not the PCM, (too many acronyms) ha ha.

No, it's OK - I got it.
I just didn't explain very well that it might not matter that this PC is being uncooperative as it's another PC that will be used. I only need it to work. Trying on this one is just nosiness to see how the pages/options/etc will look. Weather here is too wintery to get much done on the truck for now.

Replacement of master cylinder in hand. Next on the list?.... Dodgy phone charger lead. Fixing things - never ending...

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Black boxes are tunable. They're not as good as a 411, but there's plenty of power locked up in that PCM of yours.

Apart from diagnostics and things like the cam sensor synch, the other thing I'd like to experiment with is ignition timing. LPG has an octane number of 100+, my timing will be based on 87 octane.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Apart from diagnostics and things like the cam sensor synch, the other thing I'd like to experiment with is ignition timing. LPG has an octane number of 100+, my timing will be based on 87 octane.

Even on 87 you can add some total timing. The real drivability gains come from bringing it in MUCH sooner.