Will a 4l60 work in a 89 c1500 or do you need to have a computer for it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tparkridge

Reaction score
I have a 89 c1500 with a 350 and a 700r4 and I believe my transmission is starting to go bad and I’ve look online and it’s been cheaper to buy a 4l60 (not a 4l60-e) instead of rebuilding or buying a reman and I want to know if you can put a 4l60 in my truck and it plug in right to the existing connectors or if I need a computer or do electronic work

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really dislike how GM renamed the 700 to a 4L60. It makes it way more likely for someone to put the wrong trans in. The 4L60E yes it needs a new name. Get a pic of the ID plate on the trans so you can ensure you are getting the right trans

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really dislike how GM renamed the 700 to a 4L60. It makes it way more likely for someone to put the wrong trans in. The 4L60E yes it needs a new name. Get a pic of the ID plate on the trans so you can ensure you are getting the right trans
The driver side, rear of the trans will show the governor housing on a 700R4 aka 4L60, which is the easiest way to distinguish it from the 4L60E which has nothing like it.

As part of that naming convention change, the TH400 was re-designated as the "3L80" which is not nearly as confusing as there's no "3L80E", lol.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
700R4=4L60 so yes, it will work (as long as it's actually good).

Here's a naive question:

If @Tparkridge buys a different 700R4 (call it a 4L60), should he plan to swap the former transmission's governor and valve body (or at least parts of the valve body and governor, such as certain springs and flyweights) so that he retains the same shift points and shift feel?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True yes I’ve modified the governor on a 700 before as I wanted to adjust the full throttle shift points. I just figured the most foolproof way way was find the ID plate.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a naive question:

If @Tparkridge buys a different 700R4 (call it a 4L60), should he plan to swap the former transmission's governor and valve body (or at least parts of the valve body, such as certain springs) so that he retains the same shift points and shift feel?
Usually not necessary unless the pre-existing transmission had a modded gov and/or valve body (ie a shift or valve body kit) installed and it's desireable to xfer those parts to the new one.

Another scenario involves the donor 700 coming from a diesel. In that case you'd want to swap governors assuming your application had a gas engine.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 89 c1500 with a 350 and a 700r4 I want to know if you can put a 4l60 in my truck and it plug in right to the existing connectors or if I need a computer or do electronic work

Does your 700R4 have a lock-up torque converter? It may not; I run a 700R4 that does not, in my Camaro.

If so, do you know if it's controlled externally, via an electric circuit of some sort? If not, it may be controlled internally, i.e., controlled by the valve body.

I believe these questions are relevant to any transmission exchange you're considering. Others may comment.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does your 700R4 have a lock-up torque converter? It may not; I run a 700R4 that does not, in my Camaro.

If so, do you know if it's controlled externally, via an electric circuit of some sort? If not, it may be controlled internally, i.e., controlled by the valve body.

I believe these questions are relevant to any transmission exchange you're considering. Others may comment.
From factory ALL 700s had lockup converters. Aftermarket rebuilds can delete the lockup with internal mods to the trans to keep it from overheating. The biggest advantage to deleting the lockup is a lighter torque converter which helps when racing. Anything on the highways really should have a lockup converter.