Will a 4l60 work in a 89 c1500 or do you need to have a computer for it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your 700R4 have a lock-up torque converter? It may not; I run a 700R4 that does not, in my Camaro.

If so, do you know if it's controlled externally, via an electric circuit of some sort? If not, it may be controlled internally, i.e., controlled by the valve body.

I believe these questions are relevant to any transmission exchange you're considering. Others may comment.
What year is your Camaro and did you install a non-lock up conversion kit?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your Camaro and did you install a non-lock up conversion kit?

It's a '79 Camaro with a snotty 355 and an Art Carr 10" non-lockup convertor.

A trans shop in Rockford (IL) did the work.

If @Tparkridge doesn't know the complete history of the vehicle / didn't install the 700R4 himself, he may or may not have a lockup and, if he does, he may or may not know how it's controlled. Those details need to be known b/f he exchanges transmissions.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a '79 Camaro with a snotty 355 and an Art Carr 10" convertor.

A trans shop in Rockford (IL) did the work.
Ah, ok. They installed a Transgo Non-LU conversion kit (or equivalent) into the pump so you can run the non lock-up (ie clutch-less) converter. No 700R4 left the factory without a converter with a clutch.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m your case yes it sounds like your trans was likely properly converted to a non lockup arrangement. but just so others are aware it requires internal mods to the trans to do this successfully without burning out the the trans.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m your case yes it sounds like your trans was likely properly converted to a non lockup arrangement. but just so others are aware it requires internal mods to the trans to do this successfully without burning out the the trans.

Exactly, which is why it's important to get @Tparkridge's input on the current state of his transmission. A prior owner, or he himself, may have made changes to it that are relevant to his original question.

A lot of changes can happen to a vehicle in 35 years :oops:

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, which is why it's important to get @Tparkridge's input on the current state of his transmission. A prior owner, or he himself, may have made changes to it that are relevant to his original question.

A lot of changes can happen to a vehicle in 25 years :oops:
He's looked at this thread several times but hasnt chosen to respond.

That said the likelihood that he'd come across a 700R4 modified like that and being unaware of it is very low. Especially given he's looking for a trans for a truck not an F body or vette, where such mods are a bit more common. As long as he doesnt make the mistake of buying a Corvette 700R4, he should be fine. Like I told him initially, the used 700r4 has to be functional/servicable.

Buying one used period is the biggest gamble he's taking...