How do you adjust the tv cable on a 700r4 out of a 1989 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tparkridge

Reaction score
I’ve watched videos and read everything and I can’t get it adjusted right, and if I do get it right, the next day it won’t operate correctly, if there a specific adjustment for these trucks or is my transmission going bad?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I hate TV cables.

I did the swap to a Holley Sniper on a Vortec "carb" manifold and had to fab my own bracket. It didn't work right, so I bought Summit's "Holley Throttle Cable Kit". It didn't work right and I burned up my transmission. Now I'm finishing up my transmission swap and I'm reworking the bracket once again.

If you're fabbing a bracket, do your best to take measurements of the factory setup and match it. The TV cable's mounting flange needs to be 4 5/8" behind and slightly below the stud. The throttle cable's flange will be about 3/4" further back.

You must be registered for see images attach

There are YouTube morons who will tell you that all you need to worry about is adjusting the cable until it 1-2 shifts at 10-15 mph and 2-3 shifts at 20-25 mph. That's premium grade bull$#!+.

I found this, and it's pretty valuable. The tl;dr is to get an oil pressure gauge and set the TV cable to produce pressures within the specs on page 7. I'll be doing that on my truck this evening.

Tparkridge

Reaction score
Ugh, I hate TV cables.

I did the swap to a Holley Sniper on a Vortec "carb" manifold and had to fab my own bracket. It didn't work right, so I bought Summit's "Holley Throttle Cable Kit". It didn't work right and I burned up my transmission. Now I'm finishing up my transmission swap and I'm reworking the bracket once again.

If you're fabbing a bracket, do your best to take measurements of the factory setup and match it. The TV cable's mounting flange needs to be 4 5/8" behind and slightly below the stud. The throttle cable's flange will be about 3/4" further back.

You must be registered for see images attach

There are YouTube morons who will tell you that all you need to worry about is adjusting the cable until it 1-2 shifts at 10-15 mph and 2-3 shifts at 20-25 mph. That's premium grade bull$#!+.

I found this, and it's pretty valuable. The tl;dr is to get an oil pressure gauge and set the TV cable to produce pressures within the specs on page 7. I'll be doing that on my truck this evening.
I’m still using the stock tbi that’s on the engine

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve watched videos and read everything and I can’t get it adjusted right, and if I do get it right, the next day it won’t operate correctly, if there a specific adjustment for these trucks or is my transmission going bad?
How did you adjust it?
There are a few ways.
Check out @NickTransmissions sticky in the transmission section.
I did mine by loosening it up and then pushing the throttle to the floor. As per info from a repair manual.
I have learned that's probably not the best way, and will check the pressures one day.

Is your cable old,cracked or otherwise in disrepair?
What prompted you to adjust it?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT adjust that cable without a pressure gauge to validate your line pressures...TV cable geometry and adjustment must both be correct or you'll likely not have proper line pressure or line pressure rise (two distinctly different things, both must be right or trans will suffer).

If you keep driving it with whatever symptoms it's presenting with, you'll do damage eventually.

Tparkridge

Reaction score
How did you adjust it?
There are a few ways.
Check out @NickTransmissions sticky in the transmission section.
I did mine by loosening it up and then pushing the throttle to the floor. As per info from a repair manual.
I have learned that's probably not the best way, and will check the pressures one day.

Is your cable old,cracked or otherwise in disrepair?
What prompted you to adjust it?
I adjusted it because one day I started the truck and it jerked hard when I put it in drive and it wouldn’t shift at all and i looked up the problems and the internet said to adjust the tv cable

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I adjusted it because one day I started the truck and it jerked hard when I put it in drive and it wouldn’t shift at all and i looked up the problems and the internet said to adjust the tv cable
There has to be a underlying reason it did that.
Maybe fluid level? Maybe the cable is past its life span?
I don't recall ever hearing they just randomly unadjust. Something more is probably going on.

Tparkridge

Reaction score
There has to be a underlying reason it did that.
Maybe fluid level? Maybe the cable is past its life span?
I don't recall ever hearing they just randomly unadjust. Something more is probably going on.
I’ll probably buy a new cable and if things don’t change I’ve got plans to take it somewhere