TV Cable compromised?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgbude

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Chevrolet Silverado K2500 350 V8 5.7L TBI. In the process of removing throttle body to replace injectors I disconnected 3 cables from throttle lever one of which was the TV cable. Transmission had been struggling to shift at the point where rpms would get high and truck would start to shudder fishing for the gear. I decided to adjust the TV cable to remedy the problem and it worked but now my issue is transmission shifts too early on lower gears and too late on last gears. Truck is equipped with a Gear Vendors gv241 transfer case for under/overdrive. I have tried adjusting cable numerous times but fail to find right spot. Took a picture of part of cable is that a cause of concern?

Attachments

• 20230917_191046.jpg
    20230917_191046.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 11

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1989 Chevrolet Silverado K2500 350 V8 5.7L TBI. In the process of removing throttle body to replace injectors I disconnected 3 cables from throttle lever one of which was the TV cable. Transmission had been struggling to shift at the point where rpms would get high and truck would start to shudder fishing for the gear. I decided to adjust the TV cable to remedy the problem and it worked but now my issue is transmission shifts too early on lower gears and too late on last gears. Truck is equipped with a Gear Vendors gv241 transfer case for under/overdrive. I have tried adjusting cable numerous times but fail to find right spot. Took a picture of part of cable is that a cause of concern?
How did you adjust it?
The way I did mine was to loosen it off, then stepmom the gas pedal until it hit the floor. Did it slowly, not stomping on it.
That kink may be affecting it though.
I have heard of guys adjusting it one both at a time until they "get it right"

cgbude

Reaction score
When attempting to adjust cable from fully seated position and pressing on pedal it does not want to click through the teeth one by one but seems to bind then when freed jumps multiple teeth and got bound again to jump a final time to WOT.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When attempting to adjust cable from fully seated position and pressing on pedal it does not want to click through the teeth one by one but seems to bind then when freed jumps multiple teeth and got bound again to jump a final time to WOT.
Purchase and install a new cable. They're $25 or so. Worn cables wont hold adjustment and in more extreme states of wear, will jeoprdize the transmission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchase and install a new cable. They're $25 or so. Worn cables wont hold adjustment and in more extreme states of wear, will jeoprdize the transmission.

How involved is the swap, does he have to drop the trans pan?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How involved is the swap, does he have to drop the trans pan?
Swap is simple...

1) Disconnect cable at TBI bracket
2) Remove 8mm (or 10mm) TV cable to case bolt
3) Pull cable housing from bore and carefully disconnect cable from TV linkage arm (don't let arm fall off or pan will need to be dropped to recover it)
4) Install new cable repeating steps 1-3 but in reverse
5) Adjust cable
6) Install transmission pressure gauge into pressure port on bell housing (7/16)
7) Fire up vehicle and run pressure test, making TV cable adjustments until pressures at idle and stall are within spec

See these instructions for more details.

Last edited:

cgbude

Reaction score
Alright, just happen to have a new TV cable cause I thought I should replace after seeing a old broken cable end still hanging on cable.