Scanner or computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed the TP stuff (from your earlier link) but when I go to open it I get a pop up saying ''Can't start...MSVCR120.dll is missing from computer... try reinstalling to fix''.
I've done the reinstall and no difference. If I click the 'OK' on the pop up TP opens but it's pretty much a blank screen with ''XDF Editor.dll No XDF selected'' written above it. What do I need for a 99Vortec and is it available from the link below. I did look but can't find for a 99 Suburban.

There are OBDII files for TP also. I haven't messed with them though.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?37-TunerPro-OBDII-Bin-Files

Not helping is my lack of familiarity with USA terms - eg, what is BIN, XDF, etc?

If I get this sorted, will it allow me to do the distributor/cam sensor synch thing?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the TP stuff (from your earlier link) but when I go to open it I get a pop up saying ''Can't start...MSVCR120.dll is missing from computer... try reinstalling to fix''.
I've done the reinstall and no difference.
Sorry, I can't help you there. Maybe you can contact someone there or research Gearhead-EFI.com

What do I need for a 99Vortec and is it available from the link below. I did look but can't find for a 99 Suburban.
You need to figure out what PCM you have (something like 16250279 or 12200411, etc), it should have a label on it. If it's the "Black Box" there's not a lot of support with TP.

Not helping is my lack of familiarity with USA terms - eg, what is BIN, XDF, etc?
Here's a definition for bin -
"BIN = Binary. Most commonly referred to as the file on chip. Binary is a form of computer code formed of zeros and ones. Its is how the info is stored on the EPROM. Most commonly seen as a bin file. This is what you use your tuning software to view. It displays the bin file in a format you can understand."

xdf is the "mask" file that you need to download to TunerPro which will convert the bin from hexadecimal to something we mortals can understand. The .xdf file has to be the specific file that works with your PCM.

adx is the definition file you download (specific to your PCM) so you can data log/monitor your PCM in real time.

Here's some more definitions for EFI stuff. Tuning is further down the list.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/efi-dictionary.html

If I get this sorted, will it allow me to do the distributor/cam sensor synch thing?
I don't know if it will. Maybe someone can chime in?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help you there. Maybe you can contact someone there or research Gearhead-EFI.com

You've reminded me - I tried to join but still no confirmation.

You need to figure out what PCM you have (something like 16250279 or 12200411, etc), it should have a label on it. If it's the "Black Box" there's not a lot of support with TP.

As far as I know it's what GM fitted at the factory - I'll look for a number tomorrow.

Here's a definition for bin -
"BIN = Binary. Most commonly referred to as the file on chip. Binary is a form of computer code formed of zeros and ones. Its is how the info is stored on the EPROM. Most commonly seen as a bin file. This is what you use your tuning software to view. It displays the bin file in a format you can understand."

xdf is the "mask" file that you need to download to TunerPro which will convert the bin from hexadecimal to something we mortals can understand. The .xdf file has to be the specific file that works with your PCM.

adx is the definition file you download (specific to your PCM) so you can data log/monitor your PCM in real time.

Here's some more definitions for EFI stuff. Tuning is further down the list.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/efi-dictionary.html

Cheers - linked page is bookmarked. I was looking for appropriate bins - couldn't find.

I don't know if it will. Maybe someone can chime in?

It'd be good if I could!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score