Obd 1 scanner options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I’ve got a 95 gmc k1500 with a random reoccurring code 32 (a common goose chase on these guys according to our identifix program at work and this site)
Point is I’d like to get a scanner for data retrieval. I have a moates aldl cable but I don’t like to use my laptop. I’d rather use a dedicated scanner if available. Does anyone have any suggestions. Is anyone experienced with the innova scanner they sell at orielly? It’s got obd1 adapters and gathers data but Id be curious to know if they’re any good. Thanks!

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the budget? I do not know what all info you can gsther on your truck. But, i bought a Topdon Phoenix lite 2. It will read my obd1 suburban 6.5 diesel. And all my obd 2 collection and as a bonus bi directional / vagcom for my vw commuter. But expect to drop 750

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search this site. Scan tool recommendations have been posted multiple times.

Posting showing the capabilities of an ancient Snap-On MTG2500. (Posts 14 and 15.)

When the '2500 failed, I replaced it with a Solus Pro having 8.2 software. The Solus Pro does everything at least as good, usually better than the '2500. Newer software is better--I've used 14.2 which does ABS auto-bleeding on my '97 that the '2500 and 8.2 software doesn't do.

Reaction score
Search this site. Scan tool recommendations have been posted multiple times.

Posting showing the capabilities of an ancient Snap-On MTG2500. (Posts 14 and 15.)

When the '2500 failed, I replaced it with a Solus Pro having 8.2 software. The Solus Pro does everything at least as good, usually better than the '2500. Newer software is better--I've used 14.2 which does ABS auto-bleeding on my '97 that the '2500 and 8.2 software doesn't do.
I have a few times. Searched around that is. Just wondered what the most recent info is on these things. Some of the threads go a few years back and it seems the “bricks” have been few and far between on the evilbay. I’ve looked for the solus a bit and my snap on guy is looking for a used one for me too. Just was curious. Thanks!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out actron cp9690, works on my 95 and 97.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 is the transition year from OBD1 to OBD2 . Some trucks have OBD2 wired ALDC plug. The way to tell is how many pins are in the ALDC. OBD2 has more pins , more data points. Some use a OBD2 plug but read OBD1 data. Mine 95 K2500 xtd, short bed. Good luck.
I have a AutoXray kit, plugs for all US vehicles, good through 2004, before canbus was introduced.
Good luck.

Reaction score
95 is the transition year from OBD1 to OBD2 . Some trucks have OBD2 wired ALDC plug. The way to tell is how many pins are in the ALDC. OBD2 has more pins , more data points. Some use a OBD2 plug but read OBD1 data. Mine 95 K2500 xtd, short bed. Good luck.
I have a AutoXray kit, plugs for all US vehicles, good through 2004, before canbus was introduced.
Good luck.
I’ve got the old 12(i think) pin connector, not the “new” obd2 connector on modern cars.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The AutoXray reads a lot of data points but is not bi directional. I'm shopping for a later new scanner with bidirectional control.