PCM or Scanner issue? Xfer case switch signal inversion issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BLUF: Scan tool shows 4WD LOW signal "ON" when in 2WD and 4WD High, and goes to "OFF" when in 4WD Low, essentially the opposite of what I would expect. Followed the service manual troubleshoot guide and everything appears to function correctly on the truck, mechanically and electrically.

Additional information on recent work done and issues that might be related:

VEHICLE
1993 GMC Suburban, K1500, 5.7 TBI 4L60E w/AC

BACKGROUND
2nd owner, very original truck, 1st owner replaced engine and trans after a collision around 120K with Goodwrench off the shelf crate parts, truck now at 190K with no rust and overall great shape. Got the community scan tool on my truck, historic DTC showed 43 (knock sensor), 67 (torque converter lockup solenoid), 81 & 82 (shift solenoid A and B circuit issue).

KNOWN ISSUES
1) 4WD isn't engaging on my truck
2) in the rain it will stall occasionally
3) shifts (esp 1-2) have been harsh under load
4) Main issue: 4WD LOW signal from PCM to scanner seems inverted of what it should be

DIAGNOSIS
1) 4WD engaging issue has been diagnosed due to the front actuator (electric) being dead; all wires and connections are good on voltage, resistance, continuity.

2) Stalling was likely due to a burned wire on the knock sensor that would contact/ground to the block in the rain. Replaced wire and shielded; sensor ohm'd correct at 3.9K and good voltage from the PCM.

3) Harsh shifts might have to do with DTC 67, 81, 82, or the 4WD low signal being inverted. I cleared the codes a week ago and none of them have come back since clearing. May be intermittent?

4) The reason for this thread: The scan tool shows 4WD Low "on" at all times except when in 4 low, at which point it reads "off".

Wiring Diagrams
You must be registered for see images attach

Things I've checked based on these diagrams:
-Good grounds from Transfer Case to trans, block, and body. Good ground on transfer case switch pin B to transfer case in 4WD low; open in 4wd high and 2wd as expected.
-12v (B+) from PCM (both at connector at PCM and at transfer case switch) on DK BLUE in 2WD and 4 High. Properly switches to ground (0v) in 4 low.
-12v in run on BRN.
-LT BLUE gets 12v in 4WD high and Low; 0v at 2wd, as expected.

According to this, in my opinion the PCM is sending and receiving the correct signals. The only indication of an issue as discussed is the old historic DTCs which haven't returned since clearing, harsh shifts (which might just be 4L60E getting old), and the scan tool showing 4WD LOW signal "on" when it shouldn't. So....

Do we think this is a PCM or scan tool issue on the sensing of 4WD LOW? Or perhaps I left something out of my tests that you might have seen. Thanks!

WB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501-165015_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501-165015_Drive.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 7

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, new actuator in and 4WD is working as expected! However, I was hoping it would help the 4WD LOW signal issue, and that hasn't changed. I may go to a shop with a different obd1 scanner and see if one of their machines shows the same signal as this scanner.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, new actuator in and 4WD is working as expected! However, I was hoping it would help the 4WD LOW signal issue, and that hasn't changed
That's too weird I'm seeing this now.
Just last night I was looking at the scanner in the transmission specific data section and my 4wd low switch said on..Was in 2wd....... So I was wondering does that mean that it shows it's there and ready??

But when I went to the regular data stream, it actually has the 4wd low switch in there too, just not much of the other transmission stuff, and it said it was off.... :think:

I'll double check tonight....

ok ...so in the transmission diagnostics it says "4WD Low switch" Yes when I'm in 2wd

In the regular diagnostic stream it says "4WD In Low Switch" No..
But I haven't goofed with my 4wd since changing the front diff to match my rear gears. My indicator light doesn't work even though it does go into 4wd... Bulbs are fine... Just haven't gone into it yet.

Not even sure I'm talking about same thing..lol

Last edited:

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the scanner was coded wrong and shows the opposite of what it should, my 4wd is working correctly even though the scanner indicated it was not