Scanner or computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My TP doesn't have the required 'acquisitions' button. Has the other seven but not that one.

It doesn't have that? I wonder if that's because you're missing that file when you loaded TP? Maybe you should try to find out how to get it?

You must be registered for see images attach

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the Ebay ALDL cable setup.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...466474?hash=item3fd725022a:g:KSYAAOSwj~5fA82c

A little less money that the other from ALDL.com and a note asking for an explanation got me this.

Hi Ken-

Back in the day of RS-232 serial ports, the circuit used was referred to as the '2 transistor' circuit. To communicate, the 2nd transistor 'pulls' down the ALDL serial data line. In my opinion, this is the correct way to interface with the ECM. We implement this circuit using an IC comparator with 'open collector' outputs (chip in the bottom of the attached pic). The biggest benefit of this, is that our cable can be used with ECM controlled carbureted cars communicating over pin D which uses 12v signaling. Most of the cables out there only work on pin E and M, which is 5v signaling. Most of the cables out there just use a diode and resistor tacked onto the RX and TX pins of an FTDI breakout board.

Our cable has a 4 position switch. Switch one is utilized for inserting a 10K resistor across terminals A and B of the ALDL connector. Switches 2,3 and 4 connect to pins D, E and M of the ALDL connector, allowing you to select the serial data line. A few vehicles have both pins E and M. If you use a USB ALDL cable where these are tied together, you will have issues.

Lastly, we have send and receive status LEDs. These help with troubleshooting connection issues.

Our cables are more complex than some of the other devices out there. I think our design decisions provide benefit to our customers.

Let me know if you have any further questions and have a great weekend.

Regards,

John Wales
1320 Electronics LLC

Also the guy has a 100% customer rating on Ebay so what the heck....... Won't really need this for a bit but might as well have it on hand. Now to talk the wife into a new laptop. Don't think that will be a hard issue.

Ken

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the suggestion of PlayingWithTBI I joined Gearhead EFI forum and my continuing quest to get TunerPro to operate as diagnostics on a 99 Vortec 5.7 has a thread all of its own.
Anyone interested in following this can view it here >> http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?9609-Man-with-hammer-needs-help

At the very least there will be comedic value in watching someone who knows nothing progress to knowing a little bit less than nothing. I'm a complete ***** when it comes to knowledge. I'll take it from anywhere but the harder it is the more it hurts. Pays in the long run though!

Last edited:

kenh

Reaction score
At the very least there will be comedic value in watching someone who knows nothing progress to knowing a little bit less than nothing.

Don't worry! I'm standing right beside you! I'm positive I know even less than you!!!!!!!

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
I decided to purchase an ALDL cable form 1320 Electronics out of Cocoa FL. (www.1320electronics.com) $55 plus shipping and it has a small "brain box" between the OBD1 connector and the lap top. I was told it will allow you to do a little work on the computerized carbs from WAY back in the day. Hope like hell I never need to do that!

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
Haven't tried it out yet. Don't have a lap top. That is in the works as the wife wants a new one but waiting for the budget to make that happen. I could afford the cable though. The cable I purchased ,so I'm told, will also work with the computerized carbs. Don't remember what was a bit different about them but the box makes communications better I guess. The biggest motivator was the few less $ for the 1320 cable.

Ken